Thursday, February 9, 2012

Excess

I just got home from the grocery store and had to put away an enormous amount of groceries. I had a few items to go back to my bathroom, and as I was putting those things away, I had to push some other things aside so they would fit. It was like I took the entire grocery store home with me! Granted, I don't think I'm an especially efficient shopper, but (I hope) I'm not the only experiencing excess. I passed by the closet on the way out of the bathroom. Another example of excess (although, on any given day I will with absolute conviction tell you that I have nothing cute to wear WHATSOEVER). And even though my closet is full, I still feel the urge to go shopping. Even though my kitchen cabinets are full, I still needed to go shopping for a basket full of items. As I looked at drawers full, cabinets brimming, and closets bursting, it occurred to me that my life is full. Full of busy-ness, full of stuff, full of third grade girl-drama, full of friends, full of church. But I still crave something to fill me up on the inside. Weird, isn't it, how we keep filling up all the nooks and crannies trying to get at what is really eating at us, but it never works?

The world offers so many things that promise to fill our lives so we will be happy. We could all probably sit down and write down a list of at least 10 different things that promise to make us happy, and grant us peace and security. Like money. Position. Power. Beauty. Food. Status. Fame. Is that what the ultimate goal is? Peace, security and happiness? The Lord makes us a bold promise in Galatians 5 that says:

22But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,
    23Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [[a]that can bring a charge].

Its so simple I could cry for all the time I've spent trying to fill myself up with other things. So I can step to my Fathers throne, unfraid, and give him all the junk, all the excess, I've been carrying around, and ask for one simple thing in return: the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. I should have added that I can step up my Father's THRONE OF GRACE, because that's what it is-grace!

    ReplyDelete