Monday, February 27, 2012

Giver or Taker? Part 2

I have been pondering the question "Is God a giver or a taker" for a few weeks, and came to the conclusion for a while that He is a taker. As I thought more about it, I began to realize that sometimes I think God is a taker because He doesn't give me what I want when I want it.  Now, I must admit to myself, and to everyone else, that I am a mostly self-centered person (that's embarrassing to admit).

Can I just jump to the conclusion that God is a taker simply because He doesn't give me what I want? It's not as easy as that, fortunately, and because it's not that easy it gives me the opportunity to search His word and find out why. As I break it down, and think about God as just a giver for a few minutes, it's hard not to have a spirit of total thanksgiving for all that He HAS given me. It's important to remember all the good stuff and not concentrate on the not-so-good. He has given me a beautiful life. A wonderful, supportive husband, and a marriage that has been redeemed. A body that works. My list is long and I could go on and on, all the way from the simple pleasures in life to the big stuff.


And if I really think about the basics that a person needs, like food, shelter,
clothes and love, then I begin to realize that everything else is such a
blessing! I have abundantly more than all I could ever ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20). In order to keep a thankful heart, to stay positive, and to keep from concentrating so much on all the negative, it's important that I remember all the positive God has done in my life. Take just a minute right now with me and offer Him thanks for everything.


The thing is, I know I can trust God because he has proven himself over and over again in my life to be trustworthy. And, yes, while He might take something, I can ultimately trust that whatever the thing was that He took, He will give back in one way or another ten-fold. I have no answers for why God takes things or people away. My own mother died in 2006, so I know what it's like to suffer loss. But I am learning over time to, instead of choosing to live in angst and mourning, live in peace and trust. To choose to believe that no matter what, He will 1) take care of me, for I am the apple of His eye (Psalm 17:8), 2)give back more than I could ever ask or imagine. I am learning that I can't go on emotion. I have to make a choice. ,and  3) I can trust that the circumstances of my life are under His control and I do not have to worry or be fearful. I can take a breath, sit back, and relax. Now, I can handle that!

So giver or taker? I've come to terms internally with my struggle over the
question. That doesn't mean I won't have conflict over it again. It's just good to know that I have Someone I can ultimately put my trust and hope in. It makes life on Earth a whole lot easier!


No comments:

Post a Comment