Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Be Strong and Courageous

I am in a Beth Moore bible study this semester, as I have mentioned previously, and it is called “The Inheritance”. I highly recommend any bible study as a way of learning more about God and His Word, but I particularly like Beth Moore’s approach. The last lesson was about repossessing your land, just like Joshua did in the book of Joshua. The interesting thing is, Joshua must have been scared to death, because in the first chapter the message God keeps sending is “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid”. I have to remember that, too. A part of what is rightfully mine has been stolen from me. God never intended for me to believe the lie that I am worthless, He intended for me to read and believe what I have had the privilege of knowing about my whole life – that there is life in His Word. As I grew up and dismissed the church, God’s Will for my life, and basically good, common sense, I can see where the lie became bigger than the truth. It’s not that God hasn’t tried, or that He hasn’t moved mountains to try to get to me. It’s just that I have looked away, turned my back, put my hand up and said “My way is better than yours”. But, oh, the heartache my way has caused! Now, finally, I have recognized the error of my ways. But it’s harder now because there are repercussions to some of my choices. God still has blessed me throughout my life, but I have, without really thinking about it, refused some of the blessing He has offered. You know that saying “you reap what you sow”? There is much truth in that.


But I digress. Back to “The Inheritance”!

My bible study facilitators Dolores and Stacey (thank you ladies!) put together a little homework assignment for the group to do. It goes basically like this: if you can, imagine yourself standing on one side of a river – that’s where you are today. The river represents your fears (what keeps you from claiming your promises), and the other side of the river represents your “promised land”, or that which is rightfully yours. My river consists of some of the things I’ve shared on this blog: gaining weight, getting older, losing significance, tragedy in my life, what other people think, and – this blog! It scares me to put my thoughts and beliefs out there, but God has put it on my heart to do it, so…here I am :)

I decided that if I can trust God to help me get over the river of fear (and I’ll refer back to Joshua chapter 1: do not be afraid, be strong and courageous), then I have so much waiting for me, like:

-confidence and significance (Psalm 71:5 For you have been my hope, Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth)

-peace (Numbers 6:26 the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace)

-joy and enjoying life (Psalm 36:8 They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights)

-having a purpose (Colossians 2:2 My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ…)

-beauty (Psalm 45:11 Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord)

-living abundantly (John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full)

-creativity (Romans 5:17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!)

-knowledge in Christ (Isaiah 33:6 He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure)

-finding security in Christ (and helping others find it, too)- (Jeremiah 33:6 ‘Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to it; I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security)

These are only a few of the promises I’ve found in my limited time searching Scripture, but it’s enough to keep me searching, and claiming, those promises and more!

2 comments:

  1. Great post!!! I love the promises you found and the scripture supporting each one...the Bible is so full of these promises if we just look. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed reading your posts and following your journey. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete