Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Promises, Promises


Isaiah 41:9-10
I have chosen you and have not rejected you, so do not fear, do not be dismayed, for I am your God.

You know, at first glance this verse seems like any other verse in the Bible. I like what it has to say, I'll read it with some interest, then I'll close my bible and be on my way. After I pray, of course.

But what if we really were to take a second look at God's Word, starting with this verse? I think that I have become so-I don't know, familiar-with God through church and bible studies, that I tend to overlook some of the seriousness of His promises. Do I really take His promises seriously and trust Him? Or do I read, pray, move on, then do the same thing the following day?  God has made so many promises, if we truly decided to believe even just one of them (and live wholeheartedly by that promise), we would see significant change in our lives.

 "I have chosen you and have not rejected you."

I can't just skim past that. If I did, I'd be doing myself a disservice. I believe God's Word is absolute truth, and that everything else can and should be held up next to it in comparison. Since I believe that, I can also believe that the promises are made to me and for me, not to be taken lightly. Here is where the answers are, here is where I can find the confidence and significance I've been looking for. All I can say is I wish someone had guided me here a long time ago, and maybe some of this heartache could have been avoided.  The heartache comes from believing the lie that says I am not worthy unless I am ( rich, smart, pretty, socially accepted...fill in the blank here with your own insecurity. Mine, obviously, is appearance, so I don't feel "worthy" unless I look perfect.) And I kinda think that sometimes I just take that lie and hold on to it, and after awhile I go on ahead and reject my own self! What a mistake, because as a Christian, I am a child of God, (Galatians 4:7 Therefore, you are no longer a slave (bond servant) but a son; and if a son, then [it follows that you are] an heir by the aid of God, through Christ), adopted into His kingdom and loved as a daughter, a princess. An heiress even!

Since I have the gift of the Holy Spirit living in me, then it doesn't make sense to reject who I am. I'm not suggesting that I not allow myself to be refined by God, but I'm simply suggesting that we not not buy into the lie that we are not worthy. God said it, straight up-

"I have chosen you and have not rejected you".

1 comment:

  1. just checking to see if i could comment. maybe you can reply to this?

    ReplyDelete