Friday, March 2, 2012

Warped







I looked in the mirror last night and was secretly pleased!

I had a mirror up on the back of my closet door, and it kept falling off because I tried to stick it on with 3M command strips. Not a great way to hang a mirror when your kids constantly bang the door against the wall so the mirror falls off (you would think they would learn after the first time, but alas, the banging continues).  So, I decided to order another mirror that would hang with hooks from the top of my door, but the ones I found online were really expensive. Except for the one I found from WalMart, which was at low, low bargain price of $15. Just let me say -- do not buy bargain-priced mirrors from WalMart.  Lesson learned. Anyhow, I put the mirror up a few days ago, and much to my dismay, it was like one of those "mirrors" in a baby book or that you find in a toy. I can see my reflection fine, but it's warped, distorted. Last night, as I was trying on some new clothes, I was actually pleased because it was warped in my favor! It makes me look a little taller, a little thinner, a little better in my opinion.

But do I look better, or is my whole opinion of myself entirely warped, just like that mirror? I think that we have a somewhat distorted point of view when it comes to our opinion of ourselves, including how we look. I started wondering last night if I even really know what I look like, since it seems like this mirror makes me look one way and a different mirror makes me look another. What's that old saying about movies? Something like "it's all smoke and mirrors".  If I am looking at myself and comparing myself to others in this planet, then my opinion is warped. I won't ever see my true worth through all the smoke and mirrors.

But if I look to God and measure myself up against what He says, then I will see myself for who I truly am: a child of God. And beautiful, at that. I bought a pair of jeans recently and they say "Feel Beautiful" right on the inside of the waistband.  Isn't that what we all want? To just feel beautiful without having to try so hard and without being afraid to fail?

I do not want to continue living my life allowing warped mirrors to give me momentary happiness and a Victoria's Secret catalogue to give me a momentary (ok, it may last longer than just a moment!) bout with depression. God's Word is my mirror, my reflection in Him is lasting.

Ephesians 2:10

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (ESV)

*picture courtesy of http://2.bp.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment