Monday, July 23, 2012

Be Careful



I'll never forget one of the last episodes of CSI I watched. I've always hated horror movies and the like, but found the crime-solving aspect of CSI intriguing. I won't go into the gory details (and yes, like all of those shows, it was horrific), but it involved these infected people who acted...well, zombie-ish is the only word I can think of. And we all know what zombies do to people. Yuck. 'Nuff said. The memory is making my stomach turn while I'm talking about it.



Google images
That's why it was one of the last crime shows I watched. It made such an impression on me that I couldn't get the image out of my head, no matter how hard I tried to forget about it. It's weird, because I'll still to this day remember a particular scene from the show at the most random times--and it happens to be one of the most gory and disturbing, too. I had to stop watching all those types of shows, like Law and Order, CSI, and Criminal Minds. They are all like mini horror movies for me, and not only could I not get the offensive images out of my head, but they were scaring the living daylights out of me. Honestly, I was becoming afraid that something like that might happen to me--especially when Law and Order did the RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES stories. {shudder!}

Google images


The other day, I heard the Casting Crowns song Slow Fade, and I realized that the children's song that it's based on isn't just a cute little tune that we sing as kids and then forget about as adults, as if it doesn't apply anymore. I realized that it has a great deal of truth to it, and I've just never taken the time to pay attention to what it really means. It struck me as so applicable to my own situation that I couldn't ignore it: Be careful little eyes what you see. Now I know why. Those images that I've allowed myself to watch are ingrained in my head, and even if I temporarily forget about them, they are still there. I think that the images from tv shows, video games, movies, billboards, suggestive titles, the Internet, as well as lyrics from songs, all have an effect on my mind. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's not. It's so important to be careful what you see. And that applies to music, too. It's important to be careful what you listen to. I like the line in the song that says:

The journey from your mind to your hands
Is shorter than you're thinking
Be careful if you think you stand
You just might be sinking



Sometimes it's hard to break away from my favorite shows, movies and songs. Especially my favorite songs.  It's like we, as a people, cannot get enough of the gory, the scandalous, the disturbing, the offensive, the evocative, the scary (Death and Destruction are never satisfied, and neither are human eyes. Proverbs 27:20)...but those suggestive lyrics paired with a fun beat, or those gory images paired with a great story line, equal a dangerous combination. I'm beginning to realize that God didn't set walls and boundaries for me so that I would be frustrated and want out. He did it to protect me.

Be careful little eyes what you see,
Oh, be careful little eyes what you see,
For the Father up above is
looking down in love.
Oh, be careful little eyes what you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment