Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday, Monday



I can't write today's title without humming the song by the same name, and of course all the credit goes to the group The Mamas & The Papas. It kinda makes me chuckle to recall some of the lyrics, like Monday, Monday, can't trust that day and Every other day of the week is fine, but whenever Monday comes, you can find me cryin' all the time. Now, understand, my Monday hasn't been bad at all. But it seems like today brought challenges that only a Monday can bring, which is why I'm sitting here at 9:23 PM rather than 9:23 AM. Regardless of the time, I'm here, and I have to say that although I had a super vacation, I missed being here! 

This evening, I went outside (just like I do every evening...ok, intend to do every evening) to water my plants on the front porch and in my window boxes, only to discover that those cursed little pests (a.k.a. the deer) had been at it again. My coneflowers stood beheaded, my pansies nibbled off at the end and some of my geraniums had been eaten down to the stem. Upon this discovery, I narrowed my eyes, bent my head, and declared war on those bothersome creatures, with their innocent little doe eyes. Ha! and double HA! Innocent my behind, because they wait until the dead of night to sneak around my house, finding good eats in the window boxes I planted. I found my self wishing they were someone elses' problem to deal with.

And all this before I even made it around to the back of the house, where the real treat of the night was awaiting me--that wicked and vile plague known as weeds (if I could only get the deer to eat the weeds I'd be a rich woman). The particular variety of weed I have growing in one of my beds causes me much vexation. This weed, known in these parts as thistle (I spit the name thistle out of my mouth), has little thorny things all over the stem, making it impossible to pull up and as an added bonus the roots seem to run 100 feet underground, so even when you do pull said weed up, you don't ever get the entire root. I really, really wish they were someone else's problem. My mood went from positive to sour in 3.5 seconds flat, and after I sprayed the flowers mightily with Deer*B*Gone (a.k.a. Liquid Fence--nasty, stinky stuff) and sprayed the weeds with a heavy dose of Round-Up, I stomped into the house and announced to all who would listen (read: my sweet husband who has already heard all this before) my displeasure with the entire deer/weed/flower situation.

They only look innocent...

Before I could get too far into a funk, though, I realized that although I don't like dealing with the aforementioned issues, they are actually mine to embrace, annoyances and all. I actively participated in the purchase of our home, which happens to be in deer territory. Wishing my problems away (however minor these problems might be) is a waste of time and energy.  I really hate dealing with them, and I often find myself wishing they would just quietly either go away on their own or someone else would take care of them for me. No, the issues I described here aren't serious, and they can be taken lightly, but many of life's issues are painful and can seem debilitating when we try to work on them.  It's work to deal with problems, and the more distasteful the problem, the more work it is dealing with it. But the alternative is so much worse: I find that I end up with a bad mood, a poor attitude, and a short temper. When we don't deal with the problems at hand, and instead try to ignore them or wish them away, then over time we become bitter, despondent and angry on the inside, and it only takes a tiny spark to cause an explosion.

God is called our Counselor ([f]or to us a child is born, to us a son is given,...and he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6) for a reason: He can take on our bitterness, our anger, our displeasure with life. His shoulders are big enough to carry even our heftiest weight ( “[l]et the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders.” Deuteronomy 33:12). When no one else is around to listen, He is.

Somehow, even when a Monday rolls around, knowing that I can give Him my junk and in return He will give me a fresh, clean spirit is enough to make even this sour-faced girl smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment