Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I Can

OK, so I had a frustrating weekend. Now it's a new day and I can recover a bit from all those negative feelings I wrote about yesterday in "I Can't".  A reader left a post about how she is reading Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer (thank you Catherine!!), and it made me stop and consider how most of the battles that I face are totally in my mind. So in that case, why do I make life so hard on myself? I know it's not as easy as just saying one day "I am now officially a more positive person" and expecting everything to be different from that day forward. It takes a great deal of effort to turn your thinking around. However, there has to be a starting point, right? That starting point could be the day you officially say "Today I will be a more positive person". Try it. Think one positive thought. Then think two, then three, then four, and so on...

Because you can, with Him (I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13).

2 Corinthians 12:9 says that His grace is sufficient for us, and His power is made perfect in our weakness. Well, seeing the weakness in myself isn't hard to do, but to think His power is made perfect in my weakness? Yes. That means that even though I feel like I can't, I actually can...

Here's a list of 11 things that I know I can do...(and feel free to add to the list with your own I can statements!!)

1.  I can meditate on Scripture throughout the day (a good one to start would be Philippians 4:13!).

2.  I can think positive thoughts (I may not want to or feel like it, but I can do it).

3.  I can spend time with God daily getting to know Him better so that I can trust Him better.

4.  I can choose to allow God to change me (and trust that it will be a change for the better).

5.  I can accept me for who I am--a beloved child of God.

6.  I can choose to react in a way that is mature, centered, and Christ-like, instead of allowing my emotions to take control (in other words, instead of flying off the handle).

7.  I can choose to love myself.

8.  I can make positive choices.

9.  I can look to Him for my confidence and security.

10. I can make the choice to follow Him everyday, no matter how difficult it may seem.

11. I can do my best (and forget the rest).
Update: I heard this on The Message: Do your best, and let God do the rest :)

What can YOU do?

2 comments:

  1. Like the "Little Engine that Could", we all would be much more content if we would focus on what we can do.

    I love #11, although forgetting the rest is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, forgetting the rest is the hard part. But not impossible :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete