Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Exploited

I turned on my daughter's iPod and found a video she had taken of herself, dancing in her room. It was cute, sure, to watch her be-bop away as only a 9-year-old can do. The problem I had was with the music she was be-bopping to. While I was downstairs fixing dinner for everyone, she had turned on a local top-40 radio station.

She later asked me if she could download a couple of the songs she had heard to her iPod. I probably don't have to tell you that I found the lyrics highly questionable, especially for my baby girl. I explained that I would not allow her to download those songs (and we had to have a chat about what radio stations she can listen to as well) because of the lyrics. Then she countered "But, mom, I don't listen to the lyrics. I won't remember them. I just like the beat."  Famous last words...

As we were out later, she was skipping along, humming a little tune to herself. No doubt one of the songs she heard earlier. And what do you know? Those words she said she didn't listen to and swore she wouldn't remember escaped from her little lips as she innocently hopped along.

I really hope she doesn't sing those words at school.

The problem?

Honestly, I like that music, too. I enjoy a great beat, I like fun music, and I like to dance. It's fun. And I've sworn to myself that I won't pay attention to the lyrics, either. But somehow, as much as I hate that it happens, those lyrics creep in and suddenly I find myself meditating on Chris Brown instead of Psalm 51. And I think we can all agree that Chris Brown's lyrics aren't exactly edifying.

I, along with millions of other parents, face a huge problem as media becomes a bigger and bigger giant in our lives. It's easy, and sometimes fun, to just go with the flow and follow along with what everyone else is doing, but at what cost?  It's important that we protect the younger generations from being exploited as they grow up, even if it means making tough decisions that aren't popular, least of all with our children. Even if it means sacrificing the things I like to watch and listen to for the sake of my kids. Because eventually, what goes in will come back out (above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23)...

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.Psalm 19:14

1 comment:

  1. I find I have to watch out for MYSELF sometimes, too. I was bebopping along to a Katy Perry song and then started really thinking about - wait a minute, why am I listening to something that glorifies getting drunk, blacking out, having a menage a trois, etc.? I don't think every song I listen to has to have a message or be artistic, but there's a big difference between listening to fun nonsensical fluff like "Safety Dance" or "Rock Me Amadeus" or whatever and listening to stuff that's focused on being out of control drunk, sexually promiscuous, selfish and totally irresponsible. Which immediately makes me think of that song about waking up in Vegas - that's Katy Perry, too, isn't it??? The beats are fun, but when I start thinking about my niece one day listening to stuff like that, it makes me feel ill. I don't want her thinking that life is nothing but pure narcissism. And you can have a fun song without it being so trashy. Everything is hyper-sexualized now.

    I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old. All my favorite bands have been around for like 25-30 years!!! Nevermind is 20 years old, how is that even possible??? Jon Bon Jovi is 50, FIFTY!!!

    But I do think it's important to be mindful of the messages going into kids' ears.

    ReplyDelete