Monday, September 24, 2012

Gentle Is...

I went to the library today so that my son could play Legos in the Lego Club, my daughter could do her homework, and I could work on my current bible study, Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst. I was humming along at quite a nice pace, when I came across this question: Use three or five words or phrases to complete this sentence: To be gentle is to be....

After some thought, I was able to come up with a few words that I felt were a good description of the word gentle, like peace and understanding.

Then came the next question: How have you recently experienced this kind of gentleness in your relationship with God?

And if that weren't enough, then there was this: Based on your experience of God's gentleness, how would you describe the power or strength that is the foundation of gentleness?

Say wha?

I have to admit, I'm still stumped. I don't know if I was just too distracted by kids yelling, people moving about and my daughter's homework to really concentrate on the questions (I found out the library isn't really the place to be for some peace and quiet), but I really could not answer them.

Contemplative Block Person (Carol Peace)

I think it's partly because even though I have a relationship with God, I haven't come to terms (yet, anyway) with some of my old views of Him. Like I tend to view Him as severe and stern, and not gentle or understanding. And yet, I know He is the latter two, not the first, and I know this because I have gotten to know Him. So what gives here? I'm not sure, but what I do know is this: I still can't answer the question. So I thought I might ask you for a little help...

How have you recently experienced gentleness in your relationship with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment