Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Gentle Is...Part 2

Gentle: adj.-having a mild or kind nature

I've really been struggling over the question I posed yesterday: How have you recently experienced this kind of gentleness in your relationship with God?

First, I had to come to some sort of decision as to what I think gentleness actually is (to me), and, after some thought, this is what I've come up with:

Gentleness is...
comforting words,
compassionate actions,
mercy and
grace.

So, have I even experienced these things that define gentleness to me in my relationship with God?

Sometimes I still don't know...

But here's what I do know:

That God's Word comforts me when I am feeling scared, unsure, or anxious with words like these from Joshusa 1: "...I will not leave you or forsake you. 6 Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. 7 Only be strong and very courageous... 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

He has relentlessly persued a relationship with me, even when I turned my back on Him. At one point, I called myself a Christian, or a follower of Christ, but my day-to-day actions revealed what was truly in my heart, which didn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with following Christ. I thought that because I went to church, I was saved and that's all I needed to know. But God has and is showing me that there is so much more to life than what I was living. I do feel like He could have left me to my own devices, even though I was hurting in my heart. Instead, He saw my hurt, had compassion for me, and is leading me down His path. He has shown me mercy and grace beyond what I can comprehend. He has showered me with blessings (and I'm not talking about just the phyical kind of blessings, but the sort of blessings that I couldn't live without, like a freedom from depression and a gentle leading down the path to freedom from anxiety and from a dependence on physical appearance and weight for confidence and security). His Word is full of mercy and compassion and grace, meant as a love letter of sorts.

My Biblegateway App describes gentleness as "an expression of compassion", and this only confirms what I already believed, it just hadn't made it's way to my head yet: God has compassion for His people; He is our refuge in good times and bad. I don't have to be scared of Him, because I know I can trust Him. And it's moment to moment; I don't have to wait on Him to show me that He loves me or has compassion for me.

So, have I experienced the kind of gentleness I described earlier in my relationship with God? Well, the answer can only be this: a resounding yes--daily.

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
for my hope is from him.
6 He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7 On God rests my salvation and my glory;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us
Psalm 62:5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment