Friday, September 7, 2012

I Never Left

I've been watching one of my favorite movies while I workout (I love watching movies while I'm on the elliptical because I become completely engrossed and mostly forget that I am actually working out, which is a win-win as far as I'm concerned!), which is a 007 movie, Quantum of Solace (just as an aside, for all you James Bond fans out there, I thought Pierce Brosnan was my favorite Bond until Daniel Craig appeared on the scene). Anyhow, the fire scene at the end of the movie really captured my attention.  If you haven't seen it, I'll try to describe it: the entire hotel is an inferno. Railings, balconies and floors are collapsing as the fire takes over. The intensity of the fire is palpable, and Bond is fighting his enemy while the Bond Girl fights hers inside a hotel room. Finally, the fight is over, but now the girl is stuck inside the burning hotel room, and Bond will stop at nothing to save her. He (in classic Bond fashion) jumps and fights his way through the fire and into the room, where she is sitting, arms around her knees and head tucked in. She's terrified, and saying "Not this way, not this way". He covers her with his body to protect her, and pulls out a gun. She thinks he is going to shoot her and then himself so they won't have to die such a painful death, but instead, he shoots out the side of the building and they escape.

Quantum of Solace

Then, at the very end of the movie, M says to Bond, "I want you back", to which Bond replies "I never left".

Quantum of Solace

I guess the reason that it caught my attention is because of his passionate determination to save her no matter what the cost. But, I say to myself, that's only a movie. A piece of fiction written from the imaginations of a guy named Ian Fleming. That kind of passion doesn't seem humanly possible, and yet, I crave it in my heart of hearts. So I look to many different avenues of "passion" to fill the aching hole in my heart: the decor of my home, my own appearance, my friends and family, my possessions...many different things promise to fill the void, but there is only One that can make good on that promise: God. Things will fail me, and people will disappoint, but His love is everlasting, and yes, He is quite passionate for us.

So, consider this (and even if you think it's kindof cheesey, read it anyway)...

The sky is dark, overcast, and ominous. You're caught in a fiery inferno with no way out. The heat is unbearable. You pull your knees into your chest and cry, not wanting life to end this way. Not this way. This isn't what I wanted. This isn't what I expected. Suddenly, He bursts into the room, having fought the enemy and jumped over holes in the floor and escaping falling railings overhead just to get to you. He comes over, covering you with His body to protect you. You are scared to put your trust in Him, thinking His way could be fatal, when suddenly He busts through the wall with a Mighty Strength and carries you out. To life. To freedom. You realize that you need Him, that maybe you used to know Him but have strayed away. You begin to understand that life without Him is unimaginable.

You say "I want you back", to which He replies "I never left".

Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our Help and our Shield.
Psalm 33:20

1 comment:

  1. Confession time: I am a huge pop culture junkie. However, second confession: I have never watched a James Bond film. I can't really explain it, but I've just never been too interested in spy stories. I tend to go for weirder, quirkier fare; general rule of thumb: if it has a cult following, I'm probably into it. (However, I've heard good things about the recent Bond movies and after reading your description of this one, I'm curious, so I will put it on my Netflix list!)
    I totally relate to the sentiment, though.

    Most of the things I truly love to watch may seem bizarre on the surface (aliens, vampires, zombies, oh my!), but they generally also have stories that convey some deeper meaning. I've realized lately that I tend to gravitate (maybe even subconsciously?) towards films and shows that have a strong male lead; usually some sort of good-man-in-a-world-gone-wrong character. He might be snarky, he could be deeply flawed, he may be reluctantly heroic, or he may have a dark past, but when it comes down to the wire, he'll do the right thing, and he'll risk life and limb to save you. Han Solo. Indiana Jones. Fox Mulder. Dean Winchester. Jack Shephard on Lost. Captain Mal Reynolds. John Reese on Person of Interest. Rick Grimes on The Walking Dead. The details may be different, but ultimately they're the guy you would want to protect you in a crisis.

    The softest spot in my heart, though, is reserved for Superman. If I hear even part of the Superman theme, I get all misty-eyed. People perceive him to be dull, bland, boring, not dark enough, but I think it's a beautiful idea - this all-powerful being who could rule us all comes down to be with us, to be one of us, and uses his great powers to rescue us time and time again. Sound familiar? ;-) Superman Returns didn't do particularly well, but I loved it for how much it made the Christ overtones so explicit.

    Two things in particular really moved me. Jor-El, Superman's loving father who sent his only child away from a doomed planet, has a final message for his son: "Even though you’ve been raised as a human being, you are not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-el; they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only Son."
    Then there was Superman debating with Lois over an article she wrote, "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman."

    Superman: I read the article, Lois.
    Lois Lane: Yeah, so did a lot of people. Tomorrow night, they're giving me the Pulitzer...
    Superman: Why did you write it?
    Lois Lane: How could you leave us like that? I moved on. So did the rest of us. That's why I wrote it. The world doesn't need a savior. And neither do I.
    ***********
    Later, Superman flies Lois high over the nighttime city of Metropolis.
    Superman: Listen; what do you hear?
    Lois Lane: Nothing.
    Superman: I hear everything. You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one.

    There's just something so powerful about the hope of rescue. I really do believe it's programmed in us to want a savior. And I think that's why something resonates so deeply in me when a story offers such a savior. It is an ongoing process to try to comprehend the mind-blowing thought that there IS a Savior; a real one, and He's saved me, He chose to save me, He wanted to save me, He underwent torture and death to save me. How does one even begin to ever wrap your brain around that???

    ReplyDelete