Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Have I Been Blind?

The world certainly takes it toll on us, doesn't it? It seems like the harder I try to stay true to what I believe, the harder the world pushes against me. My eyes have seen too much. Things don't even shock me anymore; the daily news, TV shows, and the media have made us a jaded people.

Do we even realize it?

Carnival by Natalie Merchant makes me think of the way video games hypnotize, the way self-centeredness causes us to turn a blind eye to the plight of others, and how social media, reality TV, and Hollywood has us mesmerized by it's smoke and mirrors.

 

Have I been blind
Have I been lost
Inside myself and
My own mind
Hypnotized
Mesmerized
By what my eyes have seen?

Have I been wrong
Have I been wise
To shut my eyes
And play along
Hypnotized
Paralyzed
By what my eyes have found
By what my eyes have seen
What they have seen?

No comments:

Post a Comment