Friday, October 5, 2012

The Battle

I talked yesterday about how I struggle with "feeling" pretty. It's a daily battle to put my confidence in God instead of in the scale.

I woke up today with a blemish. If there is one thing on this entire Earth that I absolutely hate, it's blemishes. I see no redeeming qualities about them whatsoever. I don't know anyone who actually likes blemishes, but I do know people who aren't bothered by them. Or at least who aren't as bothered as I am about them.

When I look in the mirror and I don't like what I see, I am once again putting my trust in something that will ultimately fail. Who I am cannot be defined by what I see, because there is so much more to life than what I look like. And I'm pretty sure that my friends aren't going to bolt in the other direction simply because I have a blemish on my face. The point is, I need to develop my beauty in my soul so that as the outside fades away (which it is guaranteed to do), I will have things like depth of character, inner beauty, and creativity to show who I really am. Is it a struggle? Yep, as I've shared before, it's a daily struggle for me to not believe what the world says is true: that physical beauty is everything. I have recently learned what Jehoshaphat learned all those hundreds of years ago, though:




"Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed...for the battle is not yours but God's...You will not need to fight in this battle.
Stand firm, hold your position, and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem.’ Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed. Tomorrow go out against them, and the Lord will be with you.” (2 Chronicles 20:15, 17).

The battle has already been won.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. That verses takes on a whole new meaning for me. A needed one.

    Thank you Heather for posting this link in the Proverbs 31 website, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. :)

    Love Never Fails

    ReplyDelete