Monday, November 26, 2012

Christmas Madness

Good news!

I am still here.

I took some time off from blogging (actually...if the truth be told, I took some time without really meaning to. I intended to write last week, and then I would come to the end of the day and realize that I had not taken the time to write again, so by Thanksgiving day, I gave up and decided to start fresh today). But! I'm back!

I hope everyone had a great holiday, and that you were able to celebrate with family and friends. We did the Drumstick Dash on Thanksgiving Day as a family, and then we were able to celebrate with family all weekend, which was really nice. We ate, we talked, we laughed...we enjoyed.

The Drumstick Dash. 16,000 participated on Thanksgiving Day to support our local Rescue Mission.

And now, we can get all geared up for Christmas.

Yay.

Can you hear the enthusiasm?

You see, I am a total Scrooge when it comes to Christmas. A curmudgeony old lady. A grouch. A bellyacher. A griper, a whiner. A complete killjoy.

Yes, of course I annoy my very own self.

I sent my sister a text last night stating the fact that I am in need of help around the holidays so I don't totally ruin it for the people in my life who happen to be excited about Christmas. Like the under-10 (and the over 39) crowd who live with me. She responded that I only have a few more years to enjoy the magic of Christmas with my babies. The magic. That must be what you have before the 24-hour Christmas music, the obnoxious crowds, the suffocating traffic and the over-priced toys made in China get to you.

Craaa-zy!

As I've pondered this idea of magic, I wondered aloud what happened to my own sense of magic. Where did it go?

John 10:10 says that the thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy, while Christ came so that we could have life and have it abundantly.

Does this abundant life include the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas?

I believe that I've totally missed the mark when it comes to enjoying the holidays. I've allowed the all the hype that surrounds Christmas to put a black shroud over the true meaning. I've allowed my joy to be stolen, but that doesn't mean that I can't take it back.

Christmas. It goes beyond the crowds, the stress, the finding-the-perfect-gift, the I-ate-too-much-food, the traffic, the noise, the parties and the ornaments. It goes all the way back to a quiet night where a baby was born. And He brought with Him a peace that transcends understanding. A joy beyond what we are capable of producing. A love that cannot be taken away.



So as I kick off the Christmas madness season, I have a choice to make. I can continue to live as a disgruntled old troll, or I can take back what is rightfully mine. Peace can be found in the middle of the chaos. There is a sweetness that cannot be duplicated in the excitement of decorating the tree with your family, while you reminisce over old ornaments and share hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment