Thursday, December 6, 2012

I was watching E! News while I folded the laundry yesterday (no one answered my FaceBook plea for a laundry fairy), and the newest, most exciting up-and-coming news, besides Marissa Miller's pregnancy, was the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. I can tell everyone reading this is thrilled beyond words at this arresting news.

The thing that bothered me the most about the upcoming Angels Fashion Show was, well, not the fact that women are being paraded out in their underthings for the entire world to ogle over. The thing that bothered me the most about this particular show is that Justin Bieber will be performing. Unless you have been living under a rock for the past few years, you probably know who Justin Bieber is. And if you have a girl between the ages of 5 and 15, you definitely know who Justin Bieber is.

And if Justin Bieber mainly appeals to girls between the ages of roughly 5 to 15, and he is scheduled to perform at one of the most celebrated and sensual fashion shows of the year...then what exactly are the targeted audiences for the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show?

This bothers me. A lot.

I know that on the surface, it would be frowned upon for this company to directly market their products to little girls. They are, however, looking for ratings and money. And if Justin Bieber brings ratings, and ratings bring money, then so be it. I suppose our impressionable little girls are just collateral damage.

And to take it a step further, I may not be a little girl anymore, but I am still an impressionable woman who (even though I know better) sees these images of perfection as something to attain, some sort of unachievable goal to constantly strive for, knowing all the while that I will never measure up. Which leaves me feeling a little less confident. A little less secure. A little less beautiful.

Victoria's Secret will probably never stop putting on a fashion show, because the world embraces this as the ultimate prize. The absolute definition of beauty. But I can stop myself from believing the lie that beauty is only in what a person looks like and how sensuous they can be.

And I can begin telling my daughter the truth about who she is and what true beauty really means by looking to God for the real story.

Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
{1 Peter 3:4}


No comments:

Post a Comment