Friday, January 11, 2013

5 Minute Friday: Dive

It's Five Minute Friday time once again! I'm linking up with Lisa Jo Baker: tales from a Gypsy Mama for her weekly free write time, Five Minute Friday. This is the time where I write whatever comes to mind-no editing, backtracking, or overthinking. The word prompt today is:

Dive

I'm standing at the end of the board, legs shaking and heart beating like a hammer inside my chest. I'm only 6 years old. I don't know how to swim!! I want to scream, yet here I am, poised to take a dive off the diving board into 12 feet of unknown and scary territory, prompted by a well-intentioned swim instructor.

I hit the water with a smack and suddenly I'm under, fighting for the surface I can barely see through the cloudy, chlorinated water--or are those my own tears I can barely see through?  I break through the surface, lungs screaming for air. There is chaos, confusion in my head as I flail toward the side, half doggy-paddling, half slapping at the water. Finally. The side of the pool represents protection, a safe-haven from the intimidating depths I just came from.

But so it is with life. I don't know how to swim! I often want to scream when I feel like I'm chartering new and undiscovered ground.

It takes determination and trust, it takes heart and it takes drive.

To dive.

3 comments:

  1. I totally remember that feeling of diving in at swimming lessons (only me in a lake). I hated it. Actually, I still hate diving and never do it. I wonder how that hate of diving in transfers to my adult life...fear and anxiety about chartering new territory. Blessings to you sister in your journey. We are on a similar one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, life can be a big ocean if we don't know how to swim. But if we stay in Him, then we always able to float!
    Hugs XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,
    Stopping in from FMF...
    LOVED this... a metaphor for many that "don't know how to swim"
    Just insert our unknown territory into the space for 'swim'
    That's you, that's me...it's everyone! We just need to learn to trust - ususally by God's prompting, a bit of courage and then... we find it's possible!
    Thank you,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete