Wednesday, January 2, 2013

OK, so I admit that I have been lazy over the past few weeks and haven't done much blogging at all. It's been good to take a break from everything (and I do mean everything--we hardly went anywhere over the break, we just stayed at home and enjoyed the rest!). A nice, long break sometimes lends itself to a healthy dose of perspective, especially when said break happens right around the beginning of the new year.

I don't know what it is about having a new year to jump into. It's like starting a fresh sheet on your calendar or walking into your clean house. I've never been one to really buy into all the resolutions that are so hyped up around the beginning of the new year, but this year, I've found myself looking at things a little differently. A new perspective. A fresh start!

As I look back at 2012, I am happy with the progress I've made over the year. I started the year off by going off all my anti-depressants, which made for a bit of a roller-coaster ride for about the first six months of 2012. (Who am I kidding? I still feel like I'm on that roller-coaster at times!). As a result of going off my medications, I gained some weight, and spend much of the year investigating what God defines as beautiful. I also talked about ways to improve my marriage, and shared articles written by others on topics that are dear to my heart, including this one by Lysa TerKeurst. Plus, I started linking up with other great blogs--including these link-ups: midweek confessions and 5 minute fridays.  All in all, I'd say that although 2012 definitely had it's share of ups and downs, it was a great year, and I'm looking forward to starting 2013 with a thankful perspective.

Starting with this: each morning when I get up, while my mind is still warming to the idea of actually waking up, I'm going to count ten things that I'm thankful for, and I hope you'll join me. It doesn't have to stretch our brains too far, it can be something as simple as a warm shower or hot cup of coffee.

So, just to start off today on the right note, I'll include mine:

1.  My husband.
2.  My kids.
3.  The fact that my kids have a safe school to go to.
4.  A hot shower.
5.  Food on the table-breakfast, lunch and dinner.
6.  Make-up.
7.  The fact that my husband's family came to visit (and we all enjoyed our time together!)
8.  This blog where I can share my struggles, my ideas, my fears--and know that somebody is relating to me.
9.  Direct TV
10. The freedom that living in this country provides.

Alright, so there you have it. Ten things I'm thankful for. Remembering what I'm thankful for helps me to not concentrate so hard on what I view as negative. It turns my day into a blessing, as I hope it does for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment