Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My question was simple: Would you like to be a prince or a princess?

My son's answer was short, with no hesitation. Nope.

My daughter, on the other hand, sighed a dreamy sigh and breathed out a long "Yeeeessss."

Is it the romance, the passion, the enchantment that leads girls to daydream about being a beautiful, yet brave and daring princess, who is living a fairy tale life?


When I was a little girl, I used to pretend that I had been dropped off in a basket as in infant by a beautiful and mysterious queen. I would come up with names for myself (because Princess Heather sounded, well, so very ordinary to me, but Princess Victoria, now there's a royal name!) and I would imagine myself wearing flowing pink gowns, complete with shimmery glass slippers and a sparkling diamond crown.

Queen Elizabeth

My mom tried to talk some sense into me, saying things like,  "I know you weren't dropped off by a queen because I clearly remember giving birth to you; however, you are still my princess." This explanation was not good enough for me then, but as I think back, my mom, in her own way, did make me feel like a special princess when I was little.



Wouldn't it be great if that feeling stuck? But the wounds and bruises inflicted on one as they grow up are often too painful and we forget that to One, we are still a special princess, and according to the book Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge, the crown of creation.

"There is something uniquely magnificent and powerful about a woman." {Captivating}

Can we even begin to believe that?

That the world desperately needs the beauty and radiance that is hidden in our hearts?

God thinks so. In fact, if you check out Isaiah 62:1-5, it says that we are a crown of splendor, a royal diadem in His hand. It says that He delights in me. In you. In His creation.



I can read it all day long. But do I really believe it?

Sometimes my head rejects the truth even though my heart longs to accept it, and I am in an epic tug-of-war battle.

Princess Heather.

I could get used to the sound of that.

*all images from google images


No comments:

Post a Comment