Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Secret

"Everything that's coming into your life you are attracting into your life. And it's attracted to you by virtue of the images you're holding in your mind. It's what you're thinking. Whatever is going on in your mind you are attracting to you."
{Bob Proctor in The Secret by Rhonda Byrne}

I am currently reading The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, a book that claims to know the secret to life, bringing any individual anything they want, including health, wealth and happiness. This is an interesting concept, but it is not one that I whole-heartedly buy into, although it has some very good points. Right now, it's better than J.K. Rowling's new-ish book A Casual Vacancy (which I was trying to read right before I picked up The Secret), which uses the F-word more times on one page than I have in my whole life. And if that's not bad enough, she also uses the 3-letter f-word, which is even worse. Anyhow, I don't appreciate it when writers assume that the written word is somehow less impactful that the spoken word. Perhaps J.K. goes around bellowing all sorts of expletives, including the 3-letter and 4-letter variety of the F-word, but somehow I doubt it.

But I digress.

I think that this book that I am reading does have a point: when you think positively, you tend to act in a more positive manner. And when you think negatively, you tend to act in a more negative manner.

When I stop and really ponder, I can see how my thoughts are generally negative. I don't know why, I guess I just don't always see that proverbial glass as half-full. I used to think negatively all the time, and got in such a habit of it that it seemed natural to think that way. Everything from the way I dressed to the way I kept house to the way my children behaved was negative. This thought pattern (among other things) really affected my mood, and one day my daughter asked my husband why I was so sad all the time. Oh, yes, that was like a knife through the heart. Even my 6-year-old was picking up on my negativity!

Then I went to a bible study that changed my whole perspective.

See, for me it's all about perspective. That bible study gave me one piece of advice that I will never forget:

So you think, therefore you act.

It was like a light-bulb moment for me, and I never want to slip back into those old habits again. Of course, there are times when I have to really concentrate on not thinking negatively, but with lots of prayer, I have been able to think more positively overall, which has improved my quality of life.

Thinking positively is a small step, but it's not an easy one. I know first-hand how hard it is to break old habits and get used to a change in perspective. The effects of a change in perspective are far-reaching, though, and can change your life. It changed mine.

Definitely a secret worth telling!

No comments:

Post a Comment