Thursday, March 28, 2013

Passionate Obsession

ob*ses*sion [noun]
fixation; consumption with belief; desire
 
synonyms:
attraction
crush
enthusiasm
fancy
fascination
infatuation
passion
 
 
 
Things I Am (Currently) Obsessed Over: (in no particular order)
 
1. A color-coded closet (for everybody, and I have been known to say things such as: What is this pink shirt doing in the greens??)
 
2. My appearance (my recent purchase of a product called Lashes to Die For--don't worry, it's just a lash enhancer--would be evidence of this)
 
3. Calorie consumption
 
4. Weight gain and/or loss
 
5. Checking my texts, emails and FB page
 
6. Working out
 
7. Pottery Barn
 
8. Kourtney and Kim (I won't lie, I love that show)
 
9. Painting (the walls in my house, that is. New paint colors always excite me)
 
I have been noticing a change going on for the last several years, and although I have been trying to ignore the painful process of their arrival, I can no longer deny the inevitable: Wrinkles have made their (most unwelcome) arrival upon my face, with a prominent one right in between my eyes. After a thorough investigation mere centimeters away from the mirror, I have decided that it is from wrinkling up my nose--you know, like you do when you smell something bad. And I thought to myself Really? This is among the first of some very prominent wrinkles to appear? Who goes around wrinkling up their nose all the time?
 
Apparently I do.
 
So, number 10 on my list of things I am currently obsessed with is this: wrinkles (and how to get rid of them).
 
Freedom from an obsession is not about something you do;
it's about knowing who you are.
It's about recognizing that what sustains you and what exhausts you.
What you love and what you think you love because you believe you can't have it.
{geneen roth}
 
It seems like the whole world is obsessed with appearance. Being thin and staying youthful are selling points on the cover of almost every magazine. As Jon Mayer sings in Stop This Train, "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young".
 
Obsession speaks to something people are fascinated by, something that we are passionate about. When I look back over my list, there is something missing...
 
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. {deuteronomy 6:5}
 
oh.
 
It seems I have gotten a bit...distracted...from what my true passion is all about: God. . I don't think it's a bad thing that I really do like Pottery Barn or that I enjoy thinking about what colors to paint my walls. And I admit that my focus on weight and calorie consumption probably still isn't as healthy as I'd like. But He's got to come first, to be my true passion, my real fascination. All I have to do is ask Him to help me revive my passion for Him. And my infatuation with Kourtney and Kim? Well, that's another topic for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment