Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Code Word

Funny Confession Ecard: I have no idea what you just said, so I'm just gonna smile and nod my head.I have an acquaintance that I don't get to see very often, but when I do, we instantly reconnect. Sometimes, though, when we get together, she speaks in code. Do you know anyone like that? That person in your life who talks to you like the conversation you were having 8 months ago never ended--except that you have no idea what that person is talking about? My friend is like that sometimes. She will say something in her code, give me that knowing look like I know you're picking up what I'm laying down, and the whole time she's talking, I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if A) she's told me something in the past that she expected me to remember and I didn't or B) she thinks she's told me something in the past that she expected me to remember and I'm clueless or C) she thinks her code is decipherable (but it's not).

Do you sometimes just smile and nod?

Sometimes that how I feel when I read the Bible. The passage may go something like this from 1 Samuel 14: 29 Then Jonathan said, “My father has troubled the land. See how my eyes have become bright because I tasted a little of this honey. 30 How much better if the people had eaten freely today of the spoil of their enemies that they found. For now the defeat among the Philistines has not been great.” ...

or this from 2 Corinthians 1: 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.[a] 6 If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. 7 Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.


Did I miss something? Because sometimes I'm left wondering what in the world any of that even means.

I smile and nod, hope God blesses me mightily because I even read the Bible, and shut the door on the whole matter--and on any chance of understanding that I might have.

I wonder why God has to make it so darn complicated. I would get a whole lot more out of what I read if He were a little more plain-spoken and a lot less mysterious about the point He's trying to get across. Do I get a pass for at least trying?

There are many references to wisdom in the Bible--actually, 221 references came up when I typed in "wisdom" in the search box on biblegateway.com, and among them was this from Proverbs 3: Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding...

Huh. My next logical question is where does one actually find wisdom? Because I got no understanding of the one thing I'm trying to learn.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom,
and whatever you get, get insight.
{proverbs 4:7}

Okay...so the beginning of wisdom is...get wisdom?

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
{proverbs 9:10}
 
Now I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

It looks like from several other verses in Proverbs that wisdom comes from someone who is humble and prudent, who is not striving to be rich and powerful but seeking the Lord, and the person who has wisdom should protect it as they would protect their money.

Alright. A good start. But my question still remains: how do I get it?

If any of you lacks wisdom,
let him ask God,
who gives generously to all without reproach,
and it will be given him.
{james 1:5}
 
There is a great deal that I don't know. I'll never be famous for my smarts, for my IQ, or for making the newest advancements in technology. Right now, I want to understand what I'm reading when I read the Bible. And it looks like the first step to understanding is wisdom, and the first step to wisdom is to trust Him and ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment