Wednesday, April 17, 2013

It's Not Fair

"It's not fair. I'm ____ years old. I should be able to _______.  Everybody else is doing it."

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

When I younger and much more naive, I was fairly certain that no child of mine would ever utter such a statement to me, and if they ever were so brash, I would have a much better comeback than this: If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it, too?

Where is The Official Parenting Handbook: A Guide to Clever Comebacks That Will Leave Your Children Speechless (and Respectful) when I need it?

Sigh.

No. It's not fair. Life has a way of showing us this sad fact, sometimes from a very young age. As an adult, I still find myself saying (only on occasion, of course) this to God when I pray. It's not fair. It's not fair. IT'S NOT FAIR.

As I was contemplating this idea of what I think is fair and what I do not, it occurred to me that when I judge something and label it as NOT FAIR, it is generally because things are not going my way. When things are going my way, you will not very often find me praying over and over about how wonderfully fair things are. It's because I expect things to be fair, and when they aren't, I (just like my daughter) complain about it. A lot.

And I expect God to listen and act accordingly to what I have hailed as FAIR and UNFAIR.

He had a few things to say when Job said things weren't fair:

Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
 Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
{job 38:4-5}
 

Fortunately for the rest of the world, God does not take direction from me. After all, He is the Creator of the Entire Universe, so I think He knows what He is doing. And what is best for me, regardless of how fair or unfair I feel it may be.

Hopefully He gets a laugh out of the fact that I have appointed myself Empress and Ruler of All Things Fair--but I respectfully resign.

No comments:

Post a Comment