Friday, April 19, 2013

My Lighthouse

It's tough being a woman.

Can I get an Amen?

I went to the doctor for my physical on Monday. As you know, I've been working on loving my shape and not worrying so much about what I look like for like the past year and a half. However, all my confidence and I'm-beautiful-no-matter-what-my-weight-is went straight out the window when the nurse said those five little words women around the world dread:

Step on the scale, please.
 

 
Ugh.

You'd better believe I was shedding shoes, jacket, and emptying pockets before I stepped on that wretched scale. As I watched the digital scale quickly (too quickly if you ask me) rise, my confidence dropped like a penny falling from the top of the Empire State Building.

And to add insult to injury, the nurse rounded up.

In my opinion, six-tenths of a pound makes no difference on the chart. Round down, woman! But the 3rd grade math student within wouldn't allow her to directly defy a math rule, and since anything over 5 must be rounded up, we round up. No compassion.

None.

I was staring at my weight written in black and white like it was a snake getting ready to jump off the page and bite me.

How does one simple number have such a huge impact on me? Why do I allow that number affect my mood, my confidence and why do I allow it to define who I am?

Does it really define me?

Once again, I turn to Scripture so I can get my bearings about me. Without a lighthouse, ships can get lost during a storm, and I'm the same way. Scripture is my lighthouse, my safety net, my voice of truth. And when I'm swaying in the wind and my confidence is shaky, I need a firm foundation so I can stand strong once again.

Because beauty isn't just about being pretty. It's about being strong. Confident. Smart. Secure. Courageous.

Am I strong, confident, smart, secure and courageous enough to dismiss a lie and believe the truth?

 But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed,
but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.
{hebrews 10:39}

1 comment:

  1. Amen!
    A gift is now delivered and proven to the whole world as a witness. Satan has deceived the whole world until the woman of Rev 12 delivers the true word of God. I am not a church, nor Mary, nor Israel. I am the prophet like unto Moses Num 12:3 raised up of my brethren Acts 3:21-23 proving the power of God in the spirit of Elijah Matt 17:3, Luke 1:17 to restore Matt 17:11 the true word John 1:1 from the wilderness Rev 12:6 to prepare a people. God our true Father will not put any child of his into a hell fire no matter what their sins, no matter if they repent in this life or not. It never entered the heart or mind of God to ever do such a thing Jer7:31, Jer 19:5. Turn your heart to the children of God. Begin here http://thegoodtale.wordpress.com. The proof is in the hearing; prove all things, God chose a woman.

    ReplyDelete