Thursday, May 30, 2013

Behavior Modification

It's not that I think my house should be perfect all the time. Honestly.

(OK, well, it may be true that I wish my house looked like the pages of a Restoration Hardware catalogue, and it also may be true that I attempt to discard useful and practical household items--take an alarm clock for example--because they don't match the look I'm going for. But all this is beside the point.)

I genuinely want my house to be a calm, quiet refuge away from the craziness of the outside world where we can relax. And you can't have calm and quiet or relaxed when you've got a person's personal belongings strewn from one end of his or her room to the other. Not to mention said person or persons' belongings flung across kitchen counter tops, barstools, and left in a heap beside the toilet in the bathroom where they changed two days ago.


Un. Acceptable.

The thing is, trying to change someone's habits and behaviors is hard--especially when the person you are trying to modify doesn't see any reason for the modification. You tend to get some push-back.

"I like my room messy like this," my daughter has been know to say. "I can find things easier that way. Besides, I can't help it."

I'm sorry...what?

I find myself in the same situation with God, though. I have this habit of comparing myself to other people, especially when I think they are pretty or have something that I want (like tan legs...do you know what a big deal that would be if I could just tan?). I know it says in Galatians 6 that I shouldn't compare (without comparing themselves to someone else, verse 4), but sometimes I just can't help it.

Just like my kids "can't help it" that mayhem resides right in their very rooms.

It takes more than a flimsy promise to change. It takes commitment, and it takes perseverance. I know that God doesn't want me to live a life of comparing myself to other people. It takes the peace right out of my heart, and puts doubt (and maybe a little fear) in the place where He was building confidence and security. It's going to take a brave trust in Him to step out of the shadow of my doubt and rest in the peace and security of knowing that He has made me as the apple of His eye, not my own.

This is one subject that I'm glad we don't see eye-to-eye on.

No comments:

Post a Comment