Friday, May 17, 2013

I Am My Mother

Me: Keep your door open. You may not lock it.

AB: (a roll of the eyes, a toss of the hair, and a deeeeeeep sigh) Why?

Me: Because I said so. That's why.

{Sigh}.

It looks as if the predictions were all true. At some point, you do become your mother. I have just proven it to be true.

AB got in trouble yesterday because she was on the phone with a friend when she should not have been, and the worst part is that she tried to hide it from me. And that makes mama very unhappy. So, she lost the privilege of having a friend over today, which makes for a very grumpy girl during the afternoon hours when she should have been playing with her friend. Especially when your mother makes you do laundry and clean the living room instead of playing on your iPod or talking on the phone to the aforementioned friend who couldn't come over.

Photo
Her reaction to the news that her friend couldn't come over: My life is NOT fair!!

{Sigh}.

I am my mother.

When I told a friend the story, she shared with me something she used to tell her own kids when they were young: I discipline you with love. When the world disciplines you, it's not with love.

I could understand where she was coming from.  The world is harsh, it's rules sharp, and it's punishment caustic and bitter. I'm trying to protect my child by disciplining her...but she doesn't see it that way. It's okay. I remember my own indignation at being disciplined by my mom, the way I rolled my eyes, stomped my feet, slammed my door and yelled It isn't fair!! I'm sure that she thought herself being somewhat punished by the way I was acting. But she didn't let up.

{Sigh}.

I am my mother.

And I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment