Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Midweek Confessions



I'm linking up today with E over at E, Myself and I for Midweek Confessions :)

~There doesn't seem to be such a thing as "satisfying a craving" for me. I've heard in certain magazines and on shows that if you have just a small bite of something, it will satisfy your craving. Not for me. If I have something sweet, especially something like chocolate, then I only want more. If I didn't have self-control, I would eat sweets all the time, because, frankly, they taste better than vegetables--and most other food groups (even the ones I love).

~I expect my husband to be a mind reader, especially when I'm miffed over a minor infraction. However he, being a human being and all, is not a mind reader and is therefore perplexed by my mood. But wait, there's more! He'll perceive a slight change of countenance and ask me what is wrong, and I, being offended by the very question (because he should already know, see...) will say nothing but then be displeased overall that he didn't already know. And no, there is absolutely no method whatsoever to this particular madness. (And no, it does not work, so I don't recommend handling yourself in this manner--but am I the only woman that does this??)

~Last week at the grocery store, I was in a hurry (who isn't?) and in my angst to get out of the produce department, I slammed my basket into the banana case. It made a big noise, and everyone turned to stare at me. At least there were no banana casualties.

~I went to visit my grandma last week, and as I was leaving, she gave me a hug and said something about "needing to put some meat on my bones". As I have expressed before, I have plenty of meat on these bones, and told her as much (even how much I weigh). She looked at me in shock and disbelief that I could possibly weigh that much and then proceeded to walk around the house insisting that we find her scale so she could weigh me and prove that I do in fact weigh that much. Thank. You. Grandma. (We never did find the scale, so I didn't have to prove it to her after all.)

~We still watch American Idol (yay Candice!) and my current favorite show is So You Think You Can Dance. In fact, my other favorite show (all the reality shows with Kim K in them) is on hiatus, which makes me realize that I watch more reality tv than I do other tv...besides Good Luck Charlie, my kids current fave (I think I've seen every episode, up to new ones with Toby, who isn't a baby anymore. So sad for the Duncan family. They grow up so fast.)

~My daughter lost a tooth 3 nights ago, and dutifully put the tooth in her special tooth pillow and laid it beside her bed (we've had conversations about how the tooth fairy can't really reach all the way under the pillow, being that she's so small and all). Now, my daughter is 10 years and 6 months old, and I'm thinking she probably knows that there is no actual tooth fairy, but she hasn't admitted that she knows, so even though I just really want to come out with it all (you know, there is no Santa, there is no Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy is not real, and our Elf on the Shelf is just a doll), I don't. However, our Tooth Fairy happens to be a touch on the forgetful side, so the aforementioned tooth sat in it's little pillow beside AB's bed for two straight nights before the TF remembered that someone was waiting for the tooth to be exchanged for some cash (this isn't the first time this has happened, by the way). The following conversation occurred:

Me: By the way...that Tooth Fairy. Has she gotten your tooth yet?

AB: Nope.

Me: She's a little forgetful, huh?

AB: Um, yeah. [slight pause] My tooth has been there waiting for two nights.

Me: Yeah...

AB: I'm going to put the tooth under my pillow. I think that's the problem.

Me: Riiigghhttt...maybe she'll come tonight...

So far AB hasn't mentioned the strange coincidence that every time I remember, the TF also remembers and takes care of things straightaway.

~Finally (this is the last one, but what can I say? It's been an eventful week in the R household), I opened the door to the laundry room last Friday and discovered a ginormous cricket-bug-thing behind the dirty laundry hamper. I had absolutely no time to deal with it (and besides, I have no use for bugs. I hate them.), so I walked away. Just walked away. Left him in there with free reign of the place. I just knew he was waiting in there to attack me with his gangling antennae and monster back legs. He hasn't been seen since.

7 comments:

  1. We are constantly forgetting the Tooth Fairy. I mean all the time! My nine year old daughter leaves notes and makes crazy requests of her, but still hasn't put together the fact that my handwriting and TF's miraculously match.
    Her brother stopped getting visited by TF at the age of ten. Too old, too many other children, etc.
    We live out in the country and while I see spiders near the ceiling that I don't kill, I have never let a cricket live. Those things are jumpy!
    Nice post! Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea if putting an age limit on the TF! Yes! And while crickets are jumpy, they also make quite the mess when squished, which is part of the reason I let him live, besides hoping that my brave and handsome husband would find him later and take care of it for me. But, alas, this damsel in distress is still thinking about the bug that could possibly be lurking in any corner...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way with sweets! I have to almost go cold turkey. I started making jello as an alternative to my beloved candy, but then I just eat the whole Tupperware container in 2 days myself anyways : /

    poor tooth fairy, we all forget : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh. There is no replacement for yummy food. Not even Jell-O :(

      Delete
  4. Heather, these are great! Thanks so much for linking up!! I am TOTALLY with you on the "satisfying a craving" - that is SO me. I also LOVE the tooth fairy story. Oh geez, I'm going to be TERRIBLE at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just know that if it does happen to you, you are in good company!

      Delete