Saturday, June 15, 2013

Time (And Electricity) Is A Beautiful Thing

Ahhhhh, electricity.

It's a beautiful thing.

And after being out of power and roughing it for an entire 24 hours, I am happy to report that things are up and running smoothly, and I didn't even have to clean out my refrigerator. Score!

I am not a hey-let's-go-camping-because-a-couple-of-nights-without-modern-convenience-sounds-like-a-good-thing kind of girl, although in my elementary and teen years I spent quite a lot of time camping out in my parents pop-up camper--before they upgraded to a trailer (all this valuable experience is how I know I don't love camping).

To be honest, the only reason I was really hoping the power would return is because I didn't want all my food to spoil, because I would have to revisit that abominable beast of a store known as Kroger. Kroger and I have had some issues recently, mostly due to the fact that they no longer double the coupons I so diligently clip every week (claiming they will lower their prices-ha!), and I had to break up with them and move on. Unfortunately, I've not been thrilled with the stand-in (Wal-Mart), and may be forced at some point in the very near future to return to my former grocery suitor.

The trials of grocery shopping...

But back to electricity, or lack thereof.

My husband, bless his soul, went to work where electricity was in abundant supply and left us stranded on the Island of No Power, where persons sit around and stare at each other, seeing MineCraft visions in their head and wondering how they can charge their Apple devices without being too obvious about it.

The day before the power went out, my sweet little boy wasn't listening to his mama, and he lost the privilege of playing Skylanders Giants on the Wii. When the power went out, I didn't have to remember all day that I had taken away the Wii, and he didn't have to ask, just to see if I would remember, and my sweet girl didn't feel the need to step in and be Mama No. 2. A silver lining.

I actually really enjoyed all the time we spent with no electricity. We were forced to talk, play games and spend time with each other with no interruption. No one had anything else better to do, there was no email to check, no FB to catch up on, no TV to watch, no phone to talk on (actually, my phone was charged, but don't tell anyone), no dishes to wash or laundry to do. It was...bliss.

And I'd do it all over again for the chance to spend unadulterated--I'd even call it wholesome--time with my family.

Yesterday is gone.
Tomorrow has not yet come.
We have only today.
Let us begin.
{Mother Teresa}

No comments:

Post a Comment