Friday, July 12, 2013

FMF: Present

Linking up with Lisa Jo over at lisajobaker.com for Five Minute Friday!

Present

Well, I'm not gonna lie, the first thing I think about when I see this word is presents. As in gifts. As in I like'em A LOT. It doesn't take long looking at a new Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware catalogue to wish I had more (or maybe just different) stuff. Before long, I'm in a reverie about what I like, what I would do differently, what makes me happy. I think stuff makes me happy. And I really do like to be happy. The problem is, the happy doesn't stay, and then I need more stuff. Like my kids, I'm never quite satisfied with what I have, and can't wait til the next birthday, or Christmas, or the next major (or minor) holiday to gather more stuff.

I'm reading a new (to me-I think it's been out for awhile) book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Within the first chapter, it hit me: it's not all about me. Never was, never will be. {gulp}

It's always good to be reminded of this. Even though I already knew. I think I have gotten wrapped up in me. Again.

Kindof like in Job where God asks "Where were you when I laid the Earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand." (Job 38:4), I realize that my happiness and my wants are not at the top of God's to-do list.

It's okay. I do know who it is all about.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.

{psalm 19:1-4}

6 comments:

  1. Heather, you did such a beautiful job expressing something that we all deal with at one time or another in our lives. Thank you for writing this! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the book by Francis Chan! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good book, definitely challenging. And I'm only half-way done!

      Delete