Wednesday, July 10, 2013

No Strings Attached

It's been awhile, hasn't it??

I always expect summer to be this long, lazy, I'm-so-bored-I-don't-know-what-to-do type season (and my kids probably DO think this way), but for me, it's anything but long or lazy. Which leads me to this problem: I have no time to sit down and write my thoughts out. Which leads me to this problem: every good blog post I think of stays stuck in my head, only to be forgotten at the first mention of laundry or dishes.

I recently watched the movie Limitless about a deadbeat author who finds this miracle drug that allows you to access your entire brain instead of the small percentage we are accustomed to.  Urban myth or not, I'm fairly certain my brain doesn't perform at 100% all the time, which frustrates the heck out of me. In the movie, Bradley Cooper's character Eddie learns a language in 45 minutes, but--and this is a big one--if you suddenly stop taking this miracle drug, you'll die. Quickly. I'm not much for dying, or dying quickly, so even though I wish I could be at the top of my game all the time, I'll have to settle to just plain me.

Is just plain me a bad thing?

I feel like we are always striving so hard to improve--intelligence, power, looks, athleticism, energy, money (the list could go on, couldn't it?)--that sometimes I think we forget that being ourselves is okay. Good, even.

My daughter was really excited about Independence Day this year. She wrote a little "book" on why Independence Day was special to her. Now, mind you, my little scholar wrote nothing about why our country celebrates this holiday, but to her, it didn't really matter so much. What does matter to her, on July 4 and all the days after, is that she can be herself.

I like it when our family gets together because we can just be ourselves.

We don't have to put on airs of any kind, or be something we are not. We are loved, regardless of how many languages we can speak or how athletic we are. There is a grace offered by our family that allows for mistakes and mishaps, and that accepts the members of the family--no strings attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment