Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Happy Monday!!!...er, Tuesday!

When a holiday happens on a Monday, I get confused and think Tuesday is Monday. 

When I left the house this morning, I apparently left my head behind. I am what I would call a robot in the morning. I do things not because I am awake and alert, but because they are routine. I was just not made to enjoy the early morning hours (but at this point in my life, I'm not enjoying late night hours either, which means my awake/aware/alert hours are slowly eroding away, to possible extinction, and then I don't know what will become of me). Because I wasn't hungry at the 6:45 AM breakfast call this morning (which is waaaay too early), I didn't eat anything. But later, my stomach never thought to alert me to the fact that I hadn't eaten anything, and I was so focused on getting out the door (it's rude to be late to a gym class) that I totally forgot to eat, which I didn't realize till I was halfway down the road. This lack of sustenance may be a contributing factor to my obliviousness. After my class, I looked down to see that I was no longer in possession of my keys or my sunglasses.  I considered the possibility that I left them on the sink in the bathroom, so I trekked all the way up to the women's locker room only to realize that they weren't there, and I wondered if perhaps A) some kind soul took them to the front desk or B) some evil, conniving soul took them to the parking lot and was pressing the lock button to figure out which car was mine. But on my way to the front desk, I remembered that I laid them on the table in the studio where my class had been all along. Duh. But maybe I burned a few extra calories going up and down those blasted steps....

I tend to pay attention to prices at the grocery store.  It's a good idea. So when I saw the $20 sunscreen scan through when I was checking out, I was shocked at myself. How, exactly, did I miss the fact that I just bought my son $20 (well, I had a coupon so it really would've been $18.50) worth of sunscreen for his face? (I'm trying to develop healthy habits early. Sunscreen everyday! They love me for it.). I had to ask the poor cashier to void it off, because coupon or no coupon, this smart shopper isn't spending $20 on sunscreen. Now I have to check my receipt for all the other things that I probably missed while I was sleepwalking through Kroger.

I thought I was being smart by putting the DVD I had to return to the library up on the dash so I'd see it when I got in the car, because on most days, but this day in particular, I'm apt to drive right by the library without a second thought as to the fact that a free DVD is no longer free when you have to pay late fines on it. And yes, I made it to the library! And the DVD was in the case (we've had problems with this before, and I get an annoyed phone call from the local librarian: 'Mrs. R, you returned the case for The Chronicles of Narnia, but there is NO DVD IN IT. Please return. At your convenience , of course.' Which is code for 'Are you an idiot? Did you think we'd fall for that trick? Return the DVD pronto.' But it was only after I got home that I realized a book I needed to return (same concept, library fines add up to might as well buy the darn book) was hiding underneath my purse.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised I made it from Point A to B without major incident. 

The Loser by Shel Silverstein

Mama said I'd lose my head
If it wasn't fastened on. 
Today I guess it wasn't
'Cause while playing with my cousin
It fell off and rolled away
And now it's gone. 

And I can't look for it
'Cause my eyes are in it,
And I can't call to it
'Cause my mouth is on it
(Couldn't hear me anyway
'Cause my ears are on it),
Can't even think about it
'Cause my brain is in it.
So I guess I'll sit down
On this rock
And rest for just a minute....

Shel Silverstein gets me.




No comments:

Post a Comment