Friday, September 20, 2013

Sentence Enhancers?

I have a confession to make:

I cuss in my head. Not out loud (most of the time). But in my thoughts.

I do not cuss out loud because my mama taught me not to (even though she had quite a mouth on her when she was angry), and also because it is not very lady-like to say curse words in everyday conversation. But I feel bad when I cuss in my thoughts, cause, as my Sunday School teachers used to say "The Good Lord can hear your thoughts." (You have to say that with a real strong Southern accent and extremely pursed lips--probably really red or really pink--or it doesn't come across quite the same.)

My mom and dad were both prevelant users of certain curse words. I grew up in two houses that both had wood-burning stoves as their main heat source, and when you're five and you think another word for a stove is a "damn it", then your parents might have a cussing habit. The F-bomb, however, was strictly off-limits, like there was this unspoken rule on the severity of explicit deletes: on a scale of 1-10, the f-word is a ten. (Although she did get me a book from the library on the true definition of the f-word, just so I could be properly informed and not schooled on the meaning from the kids on the back of the bus and WHOA! that's a lot of heavy info coming at you when you're 12 or 13. AWKWARD.)


In 2013, there are lots of substitutions for these words, like friggin, freaking, and the ever-popular effin. And admit, I say them all (except for effin, I don't like that one). Even in front of my kids. GASP! There has been ample debate amongst parents I know as to whether those words are appropriate or not, since the user is intending them the same way.


In my house, profanity isn't the way we choose to express ourselves (although when you're really, really upset or angry, sometimes no other words will do). We are trying to teach our kids that there are many acceptable ways to express how you feel without being vulgar about it, but they do know most of the curse words (when you hear the f-bomb dropped by your very own daughter--as she is explaining the words she knows--it does tend leave one a bit aghast) and they know that they will hear them and read them for the rest of their lives--but that doesn't make it okay for them to use them regularly.

So back to my confession: I have gotten better. The words don't pop out of my mouth like they used to. And in the grand scheme of life, it's a fairly minor issue :)

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
{ephesians 4:29}

No comments:

Post a Comment