Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Eat To Live



Tuesday has consumed my time, leaving me with not much to give to you today. Last night I was talking to a friend, and as she was explaining to me why she chooses to eat healthy, she shared this quote with me:

It's perfect for all those times I've eaten food I didn't want but ate anyway because I was emotional, stressed or anxious. Or tired.

Or ______.

In the spirit of "eating to live", I thought I'd share a recipe I found online with you. It looks overwhelming, but I promise it's worth the effort. Yum!

Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl


★★★★★

Makes: Yield: 6 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked green lentils (yield 2 & 3/4 cups cooked)
1 cup uncooked speltberries (yield 2 cups cooked) OR grain of choice, like brown
rice
1/2 tbsp olive oil, for sautéing
1/2 red onion (~1 & 1/3 cups), chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
3 cups spinach or kale, roughly chopped (I used Lacinato kale)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
1 batch of Lightened Up Tahini-Lemon Dressing (recipe below)
Kosher salt & black pepper, to taste
Lemon Wedges & lemon zest, to garnish

Dressing
1/4 cup Tahini
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1/4 cup Nutritional yeast or a bit more, to taste
2-4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
1 tsp kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
3 tbsp water, or as needed

Directions:

1. Cook lentils and speltberries (or grain of choice) according to package
directions. I did this the night before to save time. Drain and set aside.

2. Prepare the Lightened Up tahini-Lemon dressing in food processor (see below
for recipe).

3. In a large skillet over low-medium heat, add your olive oil and sauté the
chopped onion and minced garlic for a few minutes, being careful not to burn.
Now add in the chopped red pepper and tomato and sauté for another 7-8 minutes.

4. Stir in the chopped kale or spinach and sauté for another few minutes, just
until tender. Stir in the full batch of tahini-Lemon dressing, the cooked &
drained grains and lentils, and simmer on low for another few minutes. Remove
from heat and stir in the minced parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste
and garnish with lemon wedges and zest. Makes 6 cups.

Notes:

Here are the changes I made to the lightened up version:

I added another garlic clove (to make 3)

Source:
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/12/lightened-up-protein-power-goddess-bowl/

No comments:

Post a Comment