Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

I didn't really want to go.

But I got myself dressed, straightened my hair AND put on makeup just so I could present myself as decent for my kids 1,000th "Fall Party" (a.k.a. their annual school Halloween party) anyway. When I walked into my son's classroom, he barely looked up from watching Monsters U on the Activeboard.

Okay.

When I walked down the hall to my daughter's classroom, I bumped into them coming back from their fall party, so she didn't need to pretend like I wasn't there. Because I wasn't.

As I signed out of the office a full twenty minutes from the time I signed in, I decided I needed to reassess this situation. If my kids don't care if I'm there and I don't have a huge desire to actually be there to watch the kids watch a movie and guzzle down 52 teaspoons of sugar before they come home and go trick-or-treating and guzzle down 48 more teaspoons of sugar, then should I be there?

I thought that's what good moms do.

But good moms also make sure their kids have costumes, fix their kids dinner, fix skinned boo-boos, take them trick-or-treating and listen to their kids day. They go to work to make money to support their families and they read bedtime stories. They bring water up past bedtime and give 87 'final' kisses before bed. They supervise homework and referee fights, they rub backs and give advice, they wash dirty socks and sweep mud from cleats off the floor.

There are a million different ways to be a good mom, and if going to a Fall Party on October 31, 2013 isn't one of them, I'm here to tell you that you can enjoy the day without guilt.


Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment