Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Shopping 101

A few weeks ago, while shopping at one of my favorite stores (TJ Maxx, what what), I found the Cutest Vanity Mirror and bought it for my basement bathroom make-over. However, when I got it home, I discovered that the two side screws were missing, so I decided to look for another one.


Which I found (at the same price!) at another fave, Pier 1.

I should correct myself and say that I found this vanity mirror online. There is a big difference between real-life and online. But I went ahead and ordered it anyway, along with another wall mirror that I also plan on using for my basement bathroom. Since I had finally found a replacement, I took the Cutest Vanity Mirror back to TJ. Can we just talk for a second about how, when you find the cutest of something at TJ Maxx, you don't take it back. You just don't. Shopping 101. You hang on to it until you are sure that the replacement you think you've found is actually going to work.

When I got to Pier 1, I told the sales associate that I was there to pick up a large mirror and a small mirror. When she brought them out, she commented "Wow, you weren't kidding when you said one big and one small." That's because this is what I had actually bought online:

Later, my husband asked why I didn't utilize that handy tab on the website called DETAILS, and had I had any inkling at all I was buying a vanity mirror made for a dollhouse, I may have saved myself a lot of running around.

Um.

Had I known that the mirror I bought was made for this girl, I would have just kept the Cutest Vanity Mirror from TJ.


At this point, though, my son was in danger of a) internal combustion from too much shopping and b) being late to soccer practice, also because of shopping, so I grabbed the mirrors and sped out of that parking lot, irritated beyond what I should have been at my lack of focus on small details. (Apology to kids is forthcoming.)

On the way to soccer, I called TJ Maxx. Hi, I was just there 30 minutes ago and returned a mirror...it's missing the two screws on the side...the girl just set it on the back counter...it's not there? It's already been reshelved? You're not going to go look for it? (I didn't actually say that, but really? You are of no help, TJM sales girl). And just as an aside, that mirror was technically broken. Do you really reshelve a broken mirror? Really?

Okay. Mission: LOCATE CVM commence. I dropped my son off at practice and headed straight for TJM, accomplice (daughter) in tow. I was going to find my mirror and get her back, come traffic or high water. I looked. I asked. A sales associate by the name of Chris even looked on all the clearance shelves and in the back room for CVM. She didn't turn up anywhere. Literally, it had been an hour since The Return.

As we walked away, dejected, I turned down that random aisle in TJM where all the we-don't-know-what-to-do-with-this-random-statue-so-it-goes-here stuff is, and hold on to your hats, because lo and behold, THERE SAT MY CUTEST VANITY MIRROR. On a random shelf. In a random aisle. After Chris the Sales Associate tore that store apart looking for it.

It was destiny. A reunion.

Now, I had my mirror back, but this girl is a smart shopper, and like I said, technically, that mirror was broken. As in not worth full price. When I got to the register, I asked for a discount off of the $14.99 price tag. I thought it was only fair, especially after all the trouble I had just gone to.

"We can take it down to $14 even for you."

99 cents.

Seriously?

Twins. How charming.

No comments:

Post a Comment