Friday, November 8, 2013

FMF: Truth

I'm staring at this blinking cursor, wondering what I really know about Truth. Wondering if I really even know enough about Truth to write a five minute post about it.

The doorbell rings. It's the sweet little girl from across the street, peering anxiously through the sidelights on the front door, her hands tightly griping a folded piece of notebook paper. "I want to give this to A", she says, eyes bright with the anticipation of seeing my daughter open her carefully drawn artwork. "Ok", I say, trying to think how to delicately tell her that A had other friends over today--big girl friends, friends that probably wouldn't want to play the games a kindergartner would play. She followed me through the house to the basement, where we could hear the girls doing what girls do best--giggling, laughing, and carrying on. A met us on the steps, looking at me with that look. She handed over her precious gift, and as A unfolded the paper with it's pink hearts and green grass, I could tell she didn't want to say I can't play today.

"Can I stay and play?" Her eyes were downcast, her hands clasped at her chest, waiting.

We both knew the question would come, and as I tried to come up with a way to say no, A grabbed her hand and pulled her down the steps. No hesitation.

Truth. It was innocent. It was palpable. It was lovely and pure. It was poured out all over that sweet girl's pink hearts, a truth that came from her heart, a truth that said I love you and I'm glad you're my friend.

 
Linking up with Lisa Jo Baker today for Five Minute Friday. Join us!

6 comments:

  1. sweet love from a child and received by another. I remember a dad telling me once how some bigger kids made fun of his little guy for his creative dress up outfit he wore one day. And how devastating it was to see the bigger kids not only share their now jaded views, but to go ahead at an early age and give those negative ideas to a little boy. But there is good out there and for the most part, children see so much more than we adults do. They feel with a true heart of caring and love. These are the stories that encourage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it sad how quickly kids can become jaded? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Visiting from FMF: How sweet! Children act as they see modeled... you've obviously been showing some beautiful truth to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think that she's has seen kindness modeled in our home, but I also hope and pray that she found kindness and compassion in her heart, and that she will carry that with her for the rest of her life. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Stopping over from the 5MF. What a precious post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truely was a very sweet moment. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete