Thursday, November 21, 2013

Through the Fog

Sometimes my brain feels foggy, either because I'm tired or overwhelmed, or any number of other reasons. Regardless of the reason, I've never seen any sort of fog as a positive. It limits what you can see and can be dangerous. But in her devotional Jesus Calling, Sarah Young puts a new spin on fog:

As you look at the day before you, you see a twisted, complicated path, with branches going off in all directions.  You wonder how you can possibly find your way through that maze. Then you remember the One who is with you always, holding you by your right hand. You recall His promise to guide you with His counsel, and you begin to relax. As you look again at the path ahead, you notice that a peaceful fog has settled over it, obscuring your view. You can see only a few steps in front of you, so you turn your attention more fully to Him and being to enjoy His Presence.
 
The fog is a protection for you, calling you back into the present moment.
There are actually mountains behind all that fog!
Fog limits your vision, obscuring entire mountains from view. What could those mountains represent in your life? The mountains in my life are the things I get most overwhelmed by: the when and how I am going to get it all done and the future-tense what ifs. When I start thinking in that direction, I anxiously try to peer into the future, planning my day and my future down to the very last detail. And in the process, I often lose focus on The One who can calm my anxiety, The One who is guiding me through my day, no matter how hectic.

Turning my focus back to Him and His peaceful presence doesn't change my to-do list, but it does change perspective.

And even through the fog, everything appears to be crystal clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment