Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Perfect Cut

I have an announcement to make:

I'm thinking about cutting my hair. I'm talking like 10 inches.

This is sure to make "A List of Things to Talk About Besides The Olympics, Will and Kate, Jennifer Aniston's marriage (or not?), and The Kardashians."

Let's be real. Just because I'm thinking about cutting it doesn't actually mean I will. But nonetheless, I've been searching Pinterest for The Perfect Haircut.

(This does not exist, by the way.)

I do not want a "mom cut". (I apologize if you have one. It's like a minivan--convenient, practical, logical, and not for me.)

I want a cut that makes me feel pretty. But so far, instead of finding what I'm looking for, I've found a whole lotta "when you look at this picture, you might start to feel real bad about yourself."

Gorgeous
I don't think she's real. Just sayin.

I should have known. Darn you, perfect Pinterest pictures. What used to be perfection to the snacking and crafting world (football cake, anyone?) has now made it's way over into the hair and beauty category. It seems as though all of Pinterest is one big board of "You Can Pin This But Prepare to FAIL".

Who wants that? Nobody.

Who keeps going back for more?

ME!

I can't seem to stay away.

Hair Inspiration For Your Next Workout From Hair Expert Johnny Lavoy | Beauty High
How is this easy, I'd like to know?
What is it that draws me in? The allure of possible perfection? The promise of "easy"? (As in "The Perfect Easy Up-Do For After A Workout" which looks great in the picture, but somehow gets lost in the translation when I try.) Whatever it is, I need to find a way to cut myself off. It's not that Pinterest is bad. It's that I'm wasting my time and energy on wishing I was something that I am not.

The Lord does not look at the things people look at.
People look at the outward appearance,
but the Lord looks at the heart.
{1 samuel 16:7}

I know, I know. I've heard this almost my whole life. A popular verse for making a girl feel better if there every was one. (The only other verse that might be more popular for making people happy would be Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Tell me I'm wrong.)

But what does the fact that "the Lord looks at the heart" even mean when I'm in the throes of despair over my outward appearance and the fact that it does not even compare to the perfection I see elsewhere? Of course the Lord looks at the heart. I mean, He's the Lord. He's supposed to look at those things, to see beyond the ordinary, to see gold in the dirt and bring beauty from ashes.

It's kind of like the time you were 15 and having a bad hair day and a bad outfit day and a bad break-out day and a bad "I feel fat" day and your grandma still looked at you and said "You're beautiful to me." (My grandma still says this to me, and I have to admit that sometimes I roll my eyes, because I'm thinking "Hey, grandma, listen. I have eyes and I have a mirror. And you're 90.)

Um, okay, grandma. You have to say that. You're my grandma, for heaven's sake, and it just wouldn't do to say anything to the contrary.

Except.

What if grandma was being completely sincere? What if she really did see past everything that you couldn't to the person that she loved and cherished, to the person that was absolutely beautiful, to the girl that, even though she wouldn't listen, had all the models beat, hands-down, because her eyes would shine and her heart was pure?

God knows where to look to find true beauty. He knows that the outward appearance, the kind we so desperately seek after, is fleeting, and if we put all our eggs in the beauty basket, we will grow resentful of time and age, and we will spend all our time, energy and resources trying to stop what is natural and unavoidable.

True beauty radiates from the inside, shining brightly for the world to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment