Thursday, July 31, 2014

Life Water

I recently read that if you take your weight (which should be taken in the morn to avoid any confusion as to how much you actually weigh) and divide by two, you get the number of ounces of water you should be drinking every day.

Since I am a pretty literal person, who tends to take everything I read as black or white with no grey areas, I promptly took what I think I weigh, divided it in half, and came up with a magic drinking water number. I do well when I have solid numbers to go by, but then I tend to go extreme and live my life by them. (I'm working on this.)

So, yay! A number for the amount of water I should be drinking each day. Totally doable.

By 7:00 yesterday evening, I had consumed 120 ounces of water (no lie--in various forms, though, I'll admit that I had a 32-oz Powerade Zero) and had gone to the bathroom no less than 36 times (perhaps a slight exaggeration). I had followed the rule and exceeded the expectation. Victory!

One would think that I'd be good til bedtime with no more to drink.

But one would be wrong.

Because by 8:00 last night, I was so thirsty I could hardly stand it.

This is, of course, news that must be texted to close friends.

"Do u have diabetes?" came the reply text.

Nope. I am just so thirsty I feel like I could drink another 120 ounces of water. Or Powerade. Whichever I could get my hands on first.

Thirst is, obviously, a constant in life. Did you know that humans can only survive about 3-5 days without water?

Sometimes I think I can go to church, read a few verses from the bible, attend a bible study--a prescription I'd give any body who asks--and think I'm good to go with with life. I've checked the boxes, I've done what's been asked, and at the end of the day, I'm on my way to life everlasting. The Promised Land.

Thirst-free.

But nothing can truly satisfy my thirst for life like a relationship with Christ can, and when I find myself spiritually thirsty even after I've checked all the above boxes, well, it puts my soul in check, too.

I want more out of life than just going to church and reading a few verses from the bible. I want that spiritual thirst to be satisfied. And for me, only Christ can do that.

...but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. 
Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a 
spring of water welling up to eternal life.
{john 4:14}

Nobody can live without water. It sustains us.

It gives us life.

No comments:

Post a Comment