Friday, August 8, 2014

Noetic Science Is A Thing

I didn't think that my mood could be any worse than it was after yesterday afternoon, but I think it must have soured overnight. Because things are cloudy with a chance of meatballs over here, and I'm not talking about the weather.

I didn't get any mail today, either, and that always throws me off.

Is it possible to have PMS for an entire week?

As I was up late, reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, I decided in my hazy-eyed stupor that I simply wasn't using enough of my brain power to influence the world around me. Noetic science, Dan Brown calls it. AKA mind over matter, a concept not foreign to me but one I don't indulge in often. (Since Dan Brown is a writer of completely fictional tales, I should totally go by what he says, too. However. I googled noetic science and it is actually a thing. Who knew?)

I'll spare you all the details and my complaints of my morning, but I can tell you positive thoughts weren't enough to overcome an empty gym.

So I got back home and stared at my still-unmade bed, thinking that if it weren't for the fact that both my kids had friends over, I'd hop back in and start over again tomorrow.

I think I need a big cup of caffeine. Organizers make me happy, too.

Onward to the bathroom, where a plethora of organizational opportunities await.

When 11:15 rolled around and the boys were asking for lunch, I kind of stared blankly at them and had to blink a couple of times to remember who they were and why they were asking for lunch. This is what happens to me when I'm in my own little world.

I don't transition well.

But transition is what life is about. Can't get by without it, unless you stay stuck in one place, and who wants to do that? (Okay. Sometimes I want to do that.)

And now as I head into the fun part of the weekend, I must (I must, I must increase my bust--obviously from Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret--anybody?? Anyways, since I'm currently asking the same question, I thought it very apropos to include a Margaret reference. Maybe I'll name my metal chicken Margaret since Beyonce is already taken.)--as I was saying, I must remember that my attitude is all about mind over matter. Thinking positively because circumstances are positive is easy. Thinking positively when the road gets a little bumpy is a little more challenging, but since giving up and getting back in bed clearly wasn't (I guess it still isn't at 5:37 pm, although don't think I haven't thought about it. Because totally I have.) an option, I decided to accept the challenge and run with it. So today wasn't a total win. Tomorrow is a new day.

And besides. If I can take this:
I don't know why I have 50 pencils and two rolls of tape in my bathroom drawer. 
and turn it into this:

then I can take on my challenge of positive thinking.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day.Yes, when the road gets bumpy thinking positively gets challenging! Grace to all of us from God.

    ReplyDelete