Thursday, October 9, 2014

Yes, I Will Not Say Sir

Jon and AB got into an argument last night.

Jon: I would appreciate it if you would use a respectful tone when you talk to me. Do you understand?

AB: Yep.

Jon: Do you understand?

AB: Yes.

Jon: Do you understand?

AB: Yeah.

Jon: DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

AB: I said it, I said it!!

(She totally did not say it.)

We have a rule in our house that when you address an adult (any adult), you use ma'am or sir with your response. AB knows this rule. (Actually more of a suggestion, since a rule would imply that you enforce it all the time, but 40% of the time we forget, and 50% of the time we aren't privy to conversations they are having which might involve a ma'am or sir, which leaves the last 10% to arguing about it.)

Jon: I see you are being obstinate. I get it.

AB: I don't even know what that means.

Jon: Go look it up. You'll probably find your picture beside the word.

Sometimes, in their own headstrong and determined way, they are like the same person.

Sometimes this is slightly annoying to me.

So this morning when AB and her brother could not seem to restrain from their verbal sparring, I had a fleeting thought of me. On an island.

Alone.

Turns out freedom ain't nothin' but missing you
Wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine.
{back to december, taylor swift}

But I was quickly brought back to reality when the bus came, and as quickly as the thought had come, it was shut down as I watched my babies walk out the door and onto the waiting bus. My heart dropped a little as I waved goodbye and turned back to an empty house. With my husband at work and my kids off to school, it's very quiet, maybe even a tad bit lonely. I thought again of my island. (Da plane, boss. Da plane. Anybody? How about this: My dear guests! I am Mr. Roarke, your host. Welcome...to Fantasy Island! Ok, now I am laughing at my own cheesiness and I've forgotten why I was talking about an island in the first place. Now I have to put a picture of Tattoo up so you, too, can revel in the cheese. If you are younger than 35 please, do yourself a huge favor and go look up an episode on YouTube. You will not be sorry you did.)

This has style and class written all over it.

As I sit here and think about my family (stubborn nature aside, hehe), the reasons why I love them and miss them so much when they are gone become obvious. AB is hilarious, and she cracks me up on a daily basis with her goofy recounts of middle school life. I look forward to her coming home just so I can hear the latest on the boy with the unibrow or the girl with the part that starts at her ear who tries to comb her hair over her eye at lunch (!). And JJ is probably one of the sweetest kids I've ever met. He has a heart for his mama, wears his emotions on his sleeve, and tries so hard at everything he does. My husband puts his family above his own wants and needs, sometimes exhausting himself in the process, and he loves us deeply. He has a strength about him that I don't think I possess, and I lean heavily on that when I'm feeling unsure about the world at large.

That image of myself on an island (I got my toes in the water, a*# in the sand, not a worry in the world, cold beer in my hand...if you don't know this song, go put Zac Brown Band on your Pandora station list, stat), while enticing, isn't really what I want. At least I don't want it by myself.

I want the funny, stubborn girl, the sweet but emotional boy, and the headstrong but loving husband to be with me.

Someone is going to KILL ME for sharing this pic...but I love it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment