Thursday, January 8, 2015

Wear A Coat When It's Cold

Have you heard? There's a cold snap across the country, sending even normally mild winters plunging into freezing temperatures.

It was 1 here when I got up this morning.

One.

This is not normal. Or at least people shouldn't live in places where the temperature is one, or hovers anywhere around one.  I like 60 in the winter myself.

Anyhow, despite the freezing temps, my fearless daughter braved the wind and the cold and dashed to the bus in nothing but a teeshirt and jeans. I know, I know, what kind of mother lets her kid wear a only a teeshirt when she knows it's 27 and windy outside. The kind that is hoarse from screeching "find a jacket" and "you'll freeze" and "stop with this tomfoolery", knowing that the recipient of said screeching is only hearing a whoomp-whoomp-whoomp like Charlie Brown's teachers. And anyway, I'm not going to die on that hill, facing that battle. I'm assuming that they'll figure out that COATS ARE APPROPRIATE COVER-UPS AND WILL ALSO KEEP YOU WARM as time goes by.

I watched her run, wondering what it would be like for her as she stood after school in the freezing cold, waiting for her bus to come pick her up from school. And she always has to wait.

I thought about dropping a coat off at school. But I didn't.

Fast-forward to 4:00 yesterday afternoon, when that poor girl blew in like whirlwind coming in from the west, out of breath and red in the face.

Have I ever mentioned that she tends to speak in all caps?

"I AM SO COLD!!!!!!! IT IS SOOOOOO COLD OUTSIDE!!!!! I'M FREEZING!"

I could have said I told you so, but this is one of those moments when you don't even have to say it, because everybody already knows how exactly right you were.

"I'M GOING TO WEAR A COAT TOMORROW! AND GLOVES! AND A SCARF! I WAS FREEZING WHILE I WAS WAITING FOR THE BUS!!!!"

Bingo.

Life lessons.

Sometimes only learned the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment