Thursday, March 12, 2015

Beauty Brand

"Mom," she says to me.

"We need to go to Victoria's Secret this weekend."

Say what?

When does anybody under the age of...28 need to be going to Victoria's Secret? (I don't know why 28, all the models are 20. I just feel like my own daughter shouldn't be hanging around thinking too much about Victoria's Secret until she's well into her twenties. But I'm wrong, because she already is.)

{Sigh}

Really, all she needs requires (her words, not mine) wants is a pair of Pink sweatpants or legging, and a sweatshirt. I get it. There isn't much in the way of the Pink line that isn't cute. And I have recently broken a years-long, one-woman boycott of said store because I don't like their marketing style, although, I must admit, it works.

So what is a mother to do?

I happened to be at the mall yesterday with a friend of mine, who agreed to case the store with me before I took my daughter. I needed to see if they had anything like what she would be looking for inside those Angel walls of theirs, and if I could keep her little eyes away from the less 12YO-friendly unmentionables. We met an excited store employee who showed us special zippers and the like, letting us know that there would be more PINK in the back.

"5 for $27!!!" She was especially enthusiastic about this.

"And we have a special St. Patricks Day section!" Unfortunately, I haven't made it a habit in the past to dress up for St. Patricks Day.

And, of course, the aforementioned zipper, which quite honestly is pretty awesome because it's big enough to hold your phone, too, so you don't have to carry it around with you while you workout.

"I KNOW!!" she said.

She was super-cute.

Just so you know, we will be looking for our PINK sweats online. I just don't think I'm ready for her to see the bridal lingerie.

See, I am influenced by what my eyes see. I've had such trouble comparing that in the past, I've had to throw certain catalogs and magazines straight into the recycle bin (PSA: Recycle. Everyone should be. The End.), because it becomes more about why don't I look like that I must be the most hideous creature God ever made besides the blobfish and less about feeling good about being me.

In a separate conversation, my friend mentioned to me how pretty she thinks my daughter is. As I tend to be a bit biased in that department, I agreed. She is very pretty. But she is also very confident and she feels good about herself, which is important. And I don't ever want her to lose that confidence just because she doesn't think she measures up to the nine-foot black-and-white poster of the VS model du jour.

So we will look at the PINK sweatpants online, and she will have to decide if she would like to pay $49.95 of her own money to buy a pair of pants that say PINK on them. But when she decides she wants to click bras, like she did last night, I'll say no. She doesn't need to go there just yet, and neither do I.

There is only one me. There is only one you.

We are all our own brand of beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment