Monday, March 23, 2015

Monday Thoughts

You know what's really weird? I might be the only person in the history of the world as we know it who's very soul can become unhinged and therefore overwhelmed over the smallest, most insignificant things.*

But that's okay, because I'm actually still reading the book, so I didn't want to give it away anyways.

*Actually, Perry Noble is also overwhelmed because he wrote the book. So me and him. 

Moving on with life. (I need caffeine. It helps me think and be human. I'll be back in a flash.)

I have some things to tell you, so first things first...(I poppa, freaks all the hunnies--I won't go on, lyrically not an uplifting or positive song, but when you hear the phrase "first things first", don't you think about One More Chance by the infamous Notorious B.I.G.? Or is it just me? Sidebar: you want to know where I heard about Biggy Smalls for the first time? And where I listened to his entire Ready to Die CD? Youth group. Church youth group bus trip to _____ (can't remember where we were headed, of course all I remember is my first introduction to B.I.G., which is swell) where a fellow youth group member brought along his fave CD, which made him almost (ahem, yours truly was there too) the coolest of the entire bus, especially when some of us where still listening to Amy Grant and thought Carman was a hard-hitting lyrical genius. Okay, so a note to parents about youth group, and then I'll move on: just because it's a church youth group does not mean that your child should have free reign to do whatever they want. You still need to check out the friends they meet and who they are hanging out with and know what they are doing and you need to try to get to know the parents of those kids , plus you need to, like, really, really know the youth group leaders. As I got older and figured out that my mom was much more lenient when it came to youth group activities, I took full advantage of her naivete. My youth group was a mess anyways, and maybe I just chose to be around those who chose to make poor decisions, like Poor Choice Rob Lowe, but there was alcohol and there was sex and there was lots of stuff going on that wasn't on the up and up. All I'm saying is don't let your guard down just because it's a youth group, keep your eyes and ears open and talk to your tween/teen/young adult. That innocent, if you will, introduction to B.I.G. started an unhealthy trend in degrading and demoralizing music choices for me, and I'll just remind you that once it goes in, it never leaves your brain. So be careful about what goes in. The End of SoapBox on youth group, notorious rappers and parenting.)

Let me stop to take a breath.

All I was going to tell you before I got all up in arms about youth groups is that I worked on my basement cabinets over the weekend and I'm almost done!!! I'll be able to share all my pictures soon, but here's one to keep you interested:

Basement cabinets that I've been working on for about 8 years, which is two years longer than I've actually even lived in this house, but whatever. Anyways, the lighter black that you see is the chalk paint without wax, the darker is the waxed paint. More later!

And the other thing I was going to share with you is that this very morning I made my very own cleaning solution from a recipe I found on Pinterest. All you need to do is go on and search "natural cleaning solutions" and you will find a plethora of formulas. The reason I am sharing this with you is because I am sometimes very weary of Pinterest ideas. Because when something seems too good to be true, it usually is. (See youth groups, above.) BUT I decided to try it because I am tired of breathing into my very healthy lungs nasty chemicals, especially when I can't open windows to air the house out, so I made my own, and I'm sharing with you so you can know that it actually does work. Here's the recipe: (important note:  I didn't make this up on my own, but found it on Pinterest)

3/4 cup of alcohol
3/4 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of water
2 drops Dawn
5-10 drops essential oils (I found mine locally and chose jasmine, which smells splendid)

Put it all in a spray bottle and you are good to go! Just don't use it on granite; I don't think vinegar+granite=anything positive. (Another sidebar: I use e-cloths on my granite and mirrors, which are washable and reusable, so better for the environment than paper towels. Win-win!)

Finally! (Finally, it has happened to me, right in front of my face, and I just can't deny it...Finally. Cece Piniston.  Tell me you know it. A more appropriate song to sing in the car with your kids. I think. But don't go by me, I listen to Biggy. Not with my kids, good grief.) My dining room is nearing completion as well. Decor-wise, that is. I have always said that a house has to be lived in for a while before you can really decorate it well. I still go by that, but we've lived here for almost six (is that right???) years and I am just now getting around to completing the decor in that room, complete with hanging plates on the wall, which in a previous life, I hated. But I've warmed to the idea of plates on the wall and have decided to include them in the dining room. (You've sunk to a new low, someone who shall remain unnamed but who lives with me said. To which I say balderdash. Since when does anything I do look bad? No one is allowed to answer that...) I've also hung some phenomenal frames I found on sale at Pier One, and I just put some pictures from our trip to NYC from few years ago in there. I'll share pictures of the entire room later, when I get the plates (yep. PLATES!) hung. But here's a picture of the plates, which I found on One Kings Lane:

ooops, the picture is sideways, but you get the idea. 

Final note: I've been considering taking on small decor jobs, only one per week, so if you need help organizing, picking out paint colors or decorating a room and would like feedback from a non-professional who may not be all that great at it but really, really loves to talk decor, let me know. Besides being an astrophysicist, it would be like a dream job. 

Have a happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment