Thursday, May 14, 2015

Don't Blink...

After a busy weekend, I woke up Monday, blinked, and now it's Thursday, and even after a cup of coffee I cannot even figure out how this happened. My older friends say I am way too young to be experiencing this sort of phenomenon, but I promise you, long spans of time can pass by without me realizing it. I guess Kenny Chesney was right: time does go by faster than you think.

So don't blink, is his recommendation. But I'm thinking he just wrote that because it rhymes, since blinking is essential to life and I also need a rest from all the crazy. I don't think I'm lazy, I just think I recognize my own limitations. Especially when I look around and think I have exactly 15 minutes to do everything I need to do for the entire week, for the entire family. I know some may look at the life of a stay at home mom and think other thoughts, which may or may not flutter around the idea of soap operas and bon-bons and the gym, but I am here to say that my jobs (which happen to be the best jobs ever, even if I am tired at the end of the week) takes up a significant portion of my day, which ends at 2:43. That is the minute one job ends and another begins; the minute my youngest steps his blessed little foot off the school bus, and the moment my day of getting things done ends and the job of homework and practice and snack begins.

(And can I just say this: comparison is a dangerous trap. Don't do it.)

If you are anything like me at all, then you get easily overwhelmed by the demands of living life in 2015. Demands are demands, whether you are working your tail off in an office or working your tail off scrubbing baby food off of the floor for the third time in 5 minutes. The minute I start to look around and try to mentally tick off the list in my mind is the minute I get anxious and my thoughts start to spiral, and it's generally not an uplifting experience, although I will admit I have much to learn. After some scant research, I have determined that what I thought I was I am not, meaning I thought that maybe I might lean a little more to being left-brained than right-brained, but alas, as it turns out, I am neither. Leaving me to wonder, do I have a brain and is it working?

When I feel overwhelmed and brain-less, as it would appear I feel at this very writing, then it's easy to believe all the thoughts that may pop into my head, and it is in these precious moments that it is important to remember to take a step back and clear one's head and then begin again, only this time, I start with Truth, and then I end up at Truth, and I seek Truth all in the middle, too.

A quick google search, in combination with biblegateway, reveals this simple truth, written in Psalm 119 and repeated in John 17: the sum of the word is truth. The word is truth. The word. Is truth.

Do we believe that?

So in seeking out truth from the bible, we can be assured that it is true and will not lead us astray. Starting with "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139: 14) all the way to "I have been given... a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:7) and all the promises in between (I have made you and I will carry you in Isaiah 46, and he who began a good work will carry it on to completion in Philippians 1, which are just a few among many), we can begin to see that we have purpose. There is meaning in the job--the life-- you  have been handed, and since he designed it, we can handle it. Even when it seems impossible and overwhelming.

I once heard Priscilla Shirer say that there is purpose to the life we have been given--specifically the people you come across, the streets you walk, the school your child goes to, your next door neighbor that gets on your nerves--purpose in everything.  And I tend to pass by those things--maybe because I'm in a hurry or I'm busy and overwhelmed or even because I see them everyday.

I may never get it all done. My grandma assures me that the dust and dirt will still be there long after I'm gone, so I may as well enjoy life and not be so concerned with getting it all done. She's 92, so I suppose she has learned a thing or two in life, and it would be prudent to listen to her wisdom. The relationships we are developing, the life we are living out, the people we are raising--those things are more important than keeping the pillows fluffed, and we would all do well to remember it.

Then you will know the truth
And the truth will set you free.
{john 8:32}

No comments:

Post a Comment