Wednesday, June 3, 2015

kefir

I've been hearing a lot about probiotics lately, so I decided to add Kefir (not Sutherland) to my coffee. Wow. Do not EVER add Kefir to your coffee. Ever. It was so bad. Just bad. I think my mouth is still contaminated. The bottle suggests adding to smoothies or cereal or even to drink it alone with many exclamation points. It should have had an asterisk the warning if you love your life do not ever try in chocolate donut-flavored coffee.

In other news, I attended JJ's end-of-the-year awards ceremony, where parents sit and watch their child get all awards known to man. I looked at my husband and sighed. "Seriously?" I whispered. "There is an award for everything."  He rolled his eyes. "You are so sentimental." But honestly, the real world does not hand out awards just for showing up. Schools have come a long way from "you back-talk me one more time and I'm taking this boat oar with holes drilled in it for extra umph to yo' backside" to "congratulations, here is an award for reading, an award for good but not perfect attendance, and an award for just being you". I'm not kidding, we now have four pieces of paper proclaiming almost-excellence in something plus a pin to display.

I care. I do care so much about my children's success in school. I also care about their success at life, and when I look around, I see lots of success at school and not so much success at all things pertaining to life.

{OMGOODNESS I can still taste Kefir. Insert major tooth-and-tongue-brushing session. (Wednesday Fun Fact: Did you know that bad-breath germs reside mostly on your tongue? Brushing one's tongue is a good idea.)}

Different people define success in different ways, but I like to think of success as less of a money/power/position thing and more of a compassion/awareness/manners thing, although I will say that a person can be successful in more than one single area. I just don't think that someone who has lots of money should automatically be assumed and labeled SUCCESSFUL. Anyways, as I was leaving the gym yesterday morning, a young man saw me coming and opened the door for me--and then he waited until I passed all the way through to go through himself, nodding his dark head of hair at me as he did. Listen, a lot of old men who also wear hats (who I think have lived long enough to figure out how to be gentlemen) have no idea that it is polite to open the door--and then wait--for a lady. Now, sometimes ladies do not act like ladies, either, but just go to Kroger on a Tuesday and you will see Old Men Who Wear Hats racing their buggies trying to be the first one to the shortest line. It's not very chivalrous, if you ask me. (They also flirt with the ladies who smell heavily of Red Door.) And I'm just going to say it, so prepare your selves: you men in the north could take a few notes from the men in the south. NOT ALL MEN, Lord knows there are some redneck boys out here who don't know their head from a hole in the ground. (I'm so allowed to say redneck boys--I come from a long line of 'em.) I'm just saying I was pleasantly surprised by this gym boy's manners, and I thought to myself his mama would be proud. (There should totally be a "Your Mama Is Proud" award next year.)

I also thought to myself I need to remember to remind JJ to use his manners...


Just cause I'm a gentlemen don't mean
I ain't taking you to bed.
{trevor wesley, chivalry is dead}

I heard this song the other day and was like what the what? Because what does that even mean? Using good manners to get some girl in bed is not very gentlemenly of a person. Is this the 2015 definition of the word "chivalry"? When it comes to manners, I am old school, and I mean old school. I fully expect men (and women, too) to be polite and I wouldn't even mind if they still stood and tipped their hats when a lady walked in a room. It wasn't that long ago when men did that, really. But that's just me, I guess, since the ones who wear hats also drive in the left lane so slow that my car starts to go backwards. But maybe that's not a bad thing. Maybe we are all in such a hurry that we've forgotten the fine art of being polite to each other.

When I passed through that door on my way out of the gym yesterday, I made a mental note to myself: make sure your kids know how to live life. Show them what it means. Live it out.

I guess I could sit around and wait for the school to give a "You Have Exceptional Manners" award, but is it their responsibility, or is it mine?




No comments:

Post a Comment