Wednesday, October 21, 2015

New Things

I was only just a few minutes ago grumbling about all the things, staring out the window without seeing the view, when my friend texted me to go walk.

ME: I WISH. I have to go teach a class AND THEN go to the grocery. Booooo.

I was then reminded of a conversation I recently had with my same friend about working mothers and we were both all like "how do they even do it?" Working women, I look at you with awe and admiration. How do you get little people ready and then yourself? I work, but it's a few hours and I get to wear yoga pants. You who brave the work force every day in heels and pearls should be given an extra cup of coffee in the morning. You deserve it.

But I suppose it would stand to reason that no matter what our work is--home work or work work or barre work--sometimes the work gets a little stale and we search for a New Thing to make Tired Things not feel so tired anymore.

Sometimes the New Things are fantastic and sometimes they're just cheap subs for the Real Thing.

There is too much out there to tempt a girl who is looking for New Things. (Weight Watchers chocolate-covered caramel ice cream bar, I hate you, you tramp.)

There isn't anything wrong with ice cream. It's only when food becomes the focus that things can get a little out of hand. When we use food--or anything else--to fill us up, we will never really be full.

So I've started asking myself a simple question when I reach for the Caramel Almond Butter.

Am I hungry?

Like am I really hungry, or am I trying to fill myself with a tasty treat when I'm really feeling lonely or sad. And if the answer is I'm hungry, then Caramel Almond Butter will hit the spot. But if I'm lonely, the kitchen isn't the place I need to be. Sometimes you can be surrounded by people and still feel the ache of loneliness.

Sometimes I eat because I don't like to be wasteful.
Sometimes I eat because there is only a tablespoon of peanut butter left and I already have a spoon out.
Sometimes I eat because it tastes good.
Sometimes I eat because I made it and nobody else will eat it.
Sometimes I eat even though my stomach is full, because my heart is empty.

Put down the spoon. Put down the spatula. Save the peanut butter for another day. (Don't even buy the ice cream.) Listen to your body. Then listen to your heart. Pour yourself a cup of hot tea and start from the beginning.

I am feeling _______.

Last night I asked Jack if he ever remembered to pray. He said it's hard to pray because he never hears God talk back.

And I say it's really hard to have a relationship with someone that you never, ever try to talk to. So pray, I told him, and see what happens. You might be surprised.

When you listen to your body, it will tell you when it needs food. And when you listen to your heart, it will tell you when it needs attention. And if your heart is telling your body that it needs food because your heart needs attention, then wires and signals are getting crossed.

Caramel Almond Butter is a great New Thing, but it will never do for me what Christ has already done. I sometimes walk in defeat because I'm lonely, not remembering that I already have what I need. I am loved, accepted and complete in Him. Only I don't always remember this in my heart, and I reach for something yummy instead.

And God is able to bless you abundantly, 
so that in all things at all times, 
having all that you need, 
you will abound in every good work.
{2 corinthians 9:8}

You already have what you need.

You are loved, accepted and complete. There is nothing else that can take His place.


No comments:

Post a Comment